This cream on black crackle finish was an abomination. Kind of creepy.
I tossed it into the back seat of the car...okay, "tossed" does not accurately reflect the magnitude of the process. It was more like: stand in the middle of the road with a quizzical look on my face, quickly assess whether it was wood or not, whether it had termites or not, my ability to get it in my car, remove all the drawers, finagle, shove, cram and cross my fingers that all the parts would fit somewhere and that I could manage to coerce the bulk of it into the back seat without creating a huge scene. I did, although, some of the drawers had to sit up front with me. I was quite happy with my find. While this isn't huge, from the pictures it looks much smaller than it actually is, almost like a little miniature, but it's one of those typical 50's or 60's dressers that are about waist high.
There certainly seemed to be some promise here though, and Casey needed another dresser in her room.
The finish on the top, under all that paint, was a laminate, which proved a bear to remove.
The pulls were pretty much cemented on with the layers of paint.
After much prompting with the sander and all the strength my upper arms could put into it, I got the paint removed, repainted, distressed it a bit and then had to decide what to do for pulls.
Came up with this for a cheap and beachy solution...which was just what we needed. I made rope pulls of my own design.
They are doing the trick and this makeover was all pretty much a freebie. Had the paint and rope on hand. I did another dresser, that I found at a garage sale for $5, in a similar manner for her room. So the two compliment each other. Instead of using the rope as loop pulls, I made them into large knots. I like the look. Don't think I have a good shot of that one. :( I'll have to get on that.