Thursday, April 25, 2013

The Seed Co. Hanging Planter

Shhhh...don't say anything... it's a gift.
One of my sisters had a birthday and I bombed on getting her gift to her on time. I'm working on making it to her before her birthday month ends.

These days, that's actually pretty good for me.

Despite the fact that I bought these containers so I'd have a go-to gift that I could whip up quickly, this ended up taking me all day! That's because although I used the same scrolly frame as I used on the last hanging pocket basket I did for my front door (See HERE), I couldn't very well give my sister one that said No. 444. That's not her address.

So the design and decision process began anew. The ideas are always what takes forever. I scoured the internet for some lettering that would look something like THIS that Mary, at homeiswheretheboatis.net showed off recently. I loved this look and tried copying the lettering, but that merely sucked about an hour or so of my life from me with a huge disappointment. Lettering is not my forte. I finally gave up trying to copy Mary's seed box lettering and looked for graphics in numerous places online, finally finding a colored seed packet I manipulated on the computer to get the words off it and to turn it into a black and white graphic. 


Another time sucker. Then I decided to add the tag line too. When all that was finally transferred and then painted, I realized I couldn't very well leave the top diamond shaped space empty and had to find a flourish that would go with the scrolly frame below. 

The day was dragging on...and on. I spent a long time trying and failing until I got a reasonable facsimile of the flourish I wanted.

The whole thing was sanded a bit and waxed.


A present needs a card, though, and it really needed to carry on the theme, so I searched again for something appropriate, found this somewhere online (I don't even know where, sorry!), printed it on card stock and wrote her a note. Done!

Not so fast!

Since I couldn't send flowers, the basket was looking so empty with just a card in the pocket, so with the few dollar bills I had on hand, I made some dollar blossoms by accordion folding the bills and scrunching them together until they looked flowery. At least she'll have something resembling a flower in it when it arrives and also a few bucks to buy a little annual to plant inside.



 Yeah, I blew it on the ribbon choice at the end, but at this point, a whole day was gone and I was over it.

 My sister is a gardener and a bird watcher and so enjoys the advent of Spring after a cold hard winter. Hope she plants a little colorful bloom in here and enjoys it!

And I hope you'll enjoy some of these fun link parties this week:

 

 mop it up mondays



Thursday Favorite ThingsFunky Junk's Saturday Nite Special

Furniture Feature FridaysFrench Country CottagePhotobucketLavender Garden Cottage



 
Adorned From Above  
    
    






Ivy and Elephants


13 comments:

  1. Liz,
    It is great. I know your sister will love it. I sat one time and made dollar origami roses for a shower gift and it took me all day but in the end the gift was a hit.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  2. OI LIZ!! O PRESENTE DE SUA IRMÃ FICAR BONITO,PARABÉNS,O CARTÃO SUPER ORIGINAL,VOCÊ SABER PRESENTEAR BEM.BEIJO.VALÉRIA.(BRASIL).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it turned out really pretty. It will please her because you made it! Come over and enter my giveaway if you'd like.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's just perfect! I'm sure she will too...:) The money flowers were an great idea too!

    Blessings, Vicky
    Life On Willie Mae Lane

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's adorable, Liz! I'm sure your sister will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super cute! Your sister is going to love it! Life to the full! Melissa @ DaisyMaeBelle

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it!!! and I'm totally in love with vintage seed packages and prints. I'm sold!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cash and a cute wall planter? Who wouldn't like a gift like this? I hope she reads this post to see how you struggled to get it just right for her!

    ReplyDelete
  9. never thought to make blossoms out of money :) really sweet.
    I'm now Following your Blog :) found you via Natasha In Oz Linky.
    Have a great weekend

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sweet flower pocket! I'm sure your sister loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very pretty-you did a wonderful job! I bet it was a hit.
    Thank you for joining Say G'day Saturday-hope to see you again this weekend!
    Best wishes,
    Natasha in Oz

    ReplyDelete
  12. Visiting from Monday Funday. I'd like to invite you to my Friday Flash Blog, where you can share your best blog entry of the week! The party goes on ALL weekend at thejennyevolution.com. And who knows, you may just get featured next week.

    Jennifer
    thejennyevolution.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by. I hope you'll say hello and let me know your thoughts. I'd love to hear from you! Unfortunately spammers have been at an all time high, so I will no longer be able to accept anonymous comments.