Sunday, August 26, 2012

Cheaper Than Thriftin'

With my trip to the Birmingham area behind me, my longest yard sale posts pretty well wrapped up, my life back to its usual routine, and work always calling me to leave my comfy spot on the couch and remove my fingers from their one on one connection to the keyboard, I'm longing for a connection to the escape that was my recent road trip to the Mountain Brook/Homewood area of Alabama.

Luckily, I took some photos along the way. I've shown you most everything already, but there are a few shots that I haven't set before you quite yet. Today seems like a prime opportunity to infuse a little bit of color and joy from that journey into a weekend plagued by Tropical Storm Isaac. The weather is hampering my desire to go to the store for the painting supplies I need to finish something I started yesterday, and it's preventing me from sanding a pallet I want to make into a sign.

Yesterday the rain was more sporadic so I sanded the two windows I scored at the longest yard sale, and I sanded a piece I found while I was out on the hunt yesterday. (I'll show you those later.) What a mess I made. It kept raining here and there and turning the green, blue, purple and silver paint I was sanding into dust.

Since I can't sand today, despite the wind and driving rain, thank goodness we at least still have power, because that means I can justify putting my feet up and blogging! Sometimes, and I just mean sometimes, it's good to have decisions made by weather default.

Boy is it storming out there. Yikes!

How sweet is this street scene! 
Took this while Cally was driving us around looking for yard sales. 
Loved this neighborhood! I'm sure Cally had to get so tired of me oohing and ahhing over the homes and flowers and everything, but she humored me, shuttled me around and stopped to let me snap pictures.

This is the walkway in front of Anthropologie at The Summit in the Birmingham area. 
The baskets of hanging flowers really caught my eye.

Here is Leaf & Petal in Mountain Brook. I saw two of these shops while we were out and about. Both were just gorgeous, and they have everything set up so you can see if from the street. We were out walking when we passed this one.

It's a different world in Mountain Brook, compared to South Florida. The architecture alone holds appeal for me because it's got so much more character than most of the buildings around here.

Quaint details get me every time.

One of the things I love about Mountain Brook and Homewood is that so many of the shops have flowers in planters flanking the shops outside and they have them in pots at the corners by the street. It lends softness and color and is very inviting.

Lots of cute places to set up shop in this town!



Check this out!

I made Cally go back and find this while we were looking for yard sales because I wanted to be sure I remembered it. This is at someone's home in the same neighborhood as above with the Devon Drive sign. What a great display! I wish I had also taken a wider shot so you could see this in relation to the whole house, but it's awkward shooting photos of people's windows with a huge lens on your camera from the street. Felt a little stalkerish. Glad no one was in there at the time. 

I snapped and we rushed on.


Sorry for the fuzzy shot (we were on the move), but I still think it's a sweet street scene.

After we got stuck in Hobby Lobby during a rainstorm and thought we'd never be able to go out on the roads again, the rain relented. It was sunset so Cally drove me to a "secret" lookout above Mountain Brook that overlooks the city of Birmingham, hoping for parting clouds, and we got them! It was a sweet spot with a beautiful view!

Birmingham City Lights at Sunset





The people who live in the house to the left sure have the view!

Then the night before I left, Cally took me to another lookout in the Homewood/Vestavia area. I believe this is looking over Homewood. 
(Cally, correct me if I'm wrong.)


You can see the outline of the sun if you look carefully.

There you have it, my weekend diversion and a little reminiscing.
It's fun to enjoy beautiful sights through the photos you've already taken.
It's cheaper than thriftin'.

 I think I'll go read a book now and eat the Chicken soup I made last night... 

...maybe have a Cherry Coke. 

Now that's livin'. Despite the tropical storm that's raging.

Hope your weekend is lovely!

I'll be sharing this with:

Cowgirl Up @ Cedar Hill Ranch
Sunday Show Off @ Twigg Studios
Freedom Fridays @ My Turn
Feathered Nest Friday @ French Country Cottage
Link Up With Me @ Liz Marie Blog
Time Travel Thursday @ The Brambleberry Cottage
Share Your Cup Thursday @ Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson
Wow Us Wednesdays @ Savvy Southern Style
Open Call Tuesday @ Salt Tree
Tuesday's Treasures @ My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia
Mod Mix Monday @ Mod Vintage Life
Tuesday To-Do @ The Blackberry Vine
Metamorphosis Monday @ BNOTP
Sunday's Best @ My 1929 Charmer
Inspire Me Monday @ Create with Joy
Mop it Up Mondays @ ISBMTF
Nifty Thrifty Sunday @ Nifty Thrifty Things

31 comments:

  1. Howdy Liz, first let me say that I hope you stay safe. We're waiting for Isaac to be over as well. Isn't it funny just how blown up it is? As a Floridian a tropical storm isn't anything, lol. Second, your pictures are just SO amazing. You are SUCH a talented photographer. Wish I could see the world like you do. Anyhoo, wanted ya to know I was thinking bout ya. Stay safe and I'll talk to ya soon : )
    ~ Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful photos. When I was a very young bride (my late husband), we lived in Huntsville, AL. He was stationed at Redstone Arsenal. I also had an Aunt who lived in the outskirts of B'ham, in Irondale, AL. Pretty state.

    We are currently at our South Ga. place near Tallahassee, sun is shining, and it's about 100 degrees. We do have a strong breeze though, probably from the storm.

    Take care,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liz...Your photos of Birmingham are wonderful...We travel through Birmingham a lot during the year,
    but we have never seen the beautiful places you have photographed...Thanks...Blessings, Becky

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a quaint and charming town! I love the dish display in that house. Thanks for taking us along, Liz...Christine

    ReplyDelete
  5. I went to Birmingham last summer. Had a great trip and took so many photographs. It is a lovely place! And the english gardens are stunning.

    /Lillianna

    ReplyDelete
  6. Liz your photo's are fantastic,I enjoyed taking the stroll and drive
    I saw you at BNOTP..and now am following come see me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice! Always travel with the camera, you never know what great shots you'll get that can turn into treasures.
    Hopping here from IMMonday.
    Diane
    ATA Girls
    Treasuring Grace

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad you had your camera with you when you passed by that window display! It is B-E-A-U-tiful! I hope you enjoyed your trip. Thanks for the eye-candy souvenirs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Liz,

    What a quaint adorable town! Thank you for the wonderful tour and your photos are fantastic. I'm your newest follower. Have a great day and thank you for stopping to visit me. Hope you will pop over again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great photos Liz! They are fantastic!
    Those cups and dishes behind a window are in a house?? I have fallen in love with them...
    A bit far to go for a look, isn't it?
    Besos from Argentina and thank you very much for your visit!
    Silvina

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful photos. Thanks for sharing your day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your photos. Your "stalker" picture of the dishes in the window looked awfully familiar. There is a picture of the inside on Houzz. The designers name is Tracery Interiors and if you search "china room" it should turn up.

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW! Great, great pics! That sunset, all the flowers and the stunning stonework on the buildings. I agree with you about the character.

    ReplyDelete
  14. what a wonderful trip, liz! beautiful pics, too. thank for sharing them:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your pictures are always so interesting. Love the pretty neighborhoods you toured and the city lights of Birmingham. Oh yes, cheaper than a day of junking for sure. Thanks so much for sharing your adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful pictures, i could stroll streets like that all day! Stay safe and thanks for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Liz,
    I am so glad you found me so I could find you. I love your blog and those pictures from your trip so so cute. I love the south and all the charm that just oozes from every place you go.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such beautiful pictures! I love the little shops and love that window full of dishes. Great city pics, sunset pics... I could go on and on!

    Thanks for sharing.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful pictures! Did you survive the storm okay? Any damage or flooding? I know all my friends and family down there are just about treading water in some places. Hope you're doing okay.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great pictures! And, yes, so interesting all that white china displayed in those beautiful windows.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pamma,

      Thanks so much for your visit. I tried to visit your blog, but I can't find a way to reach it. I hope you'll leave me a link so I can visit your site!
      Liz

      Delete
  21. New to your blog! And I really love it! how inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful photos. Yes, that one shot is part of Homewood. I live in Birmingham, and there are many pretty places to see! I like the Summit, too. These best estate sales are over in those areas.

    ReplyDelete
  23. How beautiful! Hope the storm isn't too bad your way...we are supposed to have some much needed rain out of it by Friday...
    Have just found your lovely blog and am now following! So nice to meet you!
    Hugs,
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  24. I don't hv much time for keeping up with my blog list BUT I HAVE TO CHK ON YOU LIZ. I so love your story telling. We hv never deliberately turned off at the Homewood exit..must do that..these days we are making regular trips to bham..you know we COULD PASS EACH OTHER on the highway. Well if so let's make a plan to meet up at LANDRY'S SEAFOOD at the LAKESHORE exit. We love that place-never dissappointed-interior is soooo inviting; WHITE TBL CLOTHS good coffee, etc ..I could imagine scheduling a "meet up"..THAT SOUNDS SO WEIRD..but we have so much in common I have no doubt we'd click. You make me SMILE..
    jh

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a treat to find your post on B'ham. My daughter lives there and works for Books A Million. She has often driven me through the streets of Mountain Brook so that we could exclaim over it's beauty. There is a tea and gift shop called "Christine's" which has often been written up in Southern Living. When you are there again, check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Beautiful, beautiful photos and places. But that garden area could really have gotten me in to trouble. Lovin those dishes, I'm really on a dish kick lately. I really love that little shop I'd want to live there! Thanks for sharing your creative inspiration with Sunday’s Best – you helped make the party a success!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Liz, beautiful towns indeed! We have a few quaint areas around here that do baskets along their streets like that and i love visiting them. You took some great pictures. Thanks for sharing with us at SYC.
    Hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  28. Nice photos! Thanks for the virtual getaway...
    ♥Linsey

    ReplyDelete
  29. The photo you have of someone's home looks do neat!! The tow like you wrote has so much appeal!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by. I hope you'll say hello and let me know your thoughts. I'd love to hear from you! Unfortunately spammers have been at an all time high, so I will no longer be able to accept anonymous comments.