Saturday, June 09, 2012

Map Project #1: Mosaic Map

Here's a little map project I did for Cally a couple of years back when she was moving into the loft in Birmingham.


When I went looking for laminated maps, I found they came two to a package, a world map and a map of the USA, so I decided to use them both and make her two separate map creations. She was fond of maps at the time, so it worked out fine.


For the world map, I chose to break it up and attach pieces of the map to canvas squares with spray adhesive, creating a mosaic effect. Target had the canvas squares in their dollar section at the time, a sweet score since I needed 15 of them. 

The squares were spray painted black so the edges looked finished and so they would have a shadowy effect once each section of the map was attached. 

Unfortunately I have been unable to locate any pictures of the spray painting mess anywhere. I'm sure you can imagine the scene just fine.
What a croc...me with the measuring tape trying so hard. Why I attempted spacial mathematics, I don't know. I always get it wrong. (is that even a thing?) There were many times I had to go ahead and eyeball it and make a second or third hole in the wall because the placement as measured didn't look right. Me and math aren't the best of friends. Whatever... perfection is overrated.

You get the idea. The added space between the squares made the display about 6 or so inches wider and taller. Every bit was helpful (although still not sufficient really) on the massive wall, and made it a bit more interesting than just hanging a map by itself.


Doing a map project does help with your geography, especially if you, like me, are not only mathematically challenged but geographically challenged. It took a while when I first laid the finished squares out at home to realize I had switched the bottom portions of South America and Africa.


I guess I was on map overload at the time because it's quite obvious now.

Duh! This way makes for a very short South America and very long Africa. 


Working out the perfect cut of each piece was a bit of a challenge, because they had to fit the particular canvas. They each had some differences and were not square. Small amounts of map had to be trimmed from some, but thanks to the gap between the sections, once placed on the wall, it wasn't noticeable. After each was placed ever so carefully on the canvas so that it fit correctly, the bubbles had to be smoothed out.

Here's how the map ended up looking on the loft wall in all it's enormity. It sure lost some of its punch in such a huge space 


Sorry for the poor, blurry, grainy shot. By the time we were done, it was dark in there. 
I have another map project I'll post sometime soon. Stay tuned.

I'll be sharing this post at:

Too Much Time On My Hands


27 comments:

  1. Love this! I've been picking up vintage maps for a while now, not sure yet what I will do with them. This looks like an idea that I can live with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE this map! This is going to be a great idea for a room I am decorating right now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a fantastic idea! It definitely adds more interest to the wall vs a plain ole map hanging there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love map art too and this looks pretty doable (except the special mathematics!). I took a picture of my son's favorite ball park and divided it between 3 picture frames. It hangs above his fireplace in his condo with huge high ceilings. Big spaces need big art! This was about 1/5 the cost of custom framing the whole thing and it's a little different like yours is.

    Robin
    Robin Flies South

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great idea for filling up a large space! You did a great job, Liz...math and all!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this! and you did a fabulous job. Boy can I equate with you and "special mathematics". I am terrible. Yesterday, I made a cushion for a window seat and there were stripes in the fabric plus I was adding a top piece of printed fabric and for the life of me could not get it straight even with a T-square. I finally gave up and just sewed it up. I finally figured out that it was the fabric print that was not square. I had an expert's help before I figured out the problem...duh! Projects always seem so easy in my head but never turn out easy! Hope you are having a fabulous weekend. xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. The map mosaic is perfect for the large walls in the loft. Looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The map mosaic is beautiful!

    Jess "The Delightful Crafter"

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is perfect for a loft space! What a cool place, too. I'd LOVE to have a loft apartment sometime - mostly to decorate it. Your daughter is blessed to have you as her mom! And look at you - you look like a college girl, too. :)
    -Revi

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is perfect for a loft space! What a cool place, too. I'd LOVE to have a loft apartment sometime - mostly to decorate it. Your daughter is blessed to have you as her mom! And look at you - you look like a college girl, too. :)
    -Revi

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wish that Target still had their canvases for $1.00. What a great deal! Love this project!

    Have a great weekend!

    blessings,
    karianne

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks amazing! Fabulous idea.
    Thanks so much for sharing,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this spin on a map! Great idea!

    makingitfeellikehome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello Liz, so very nice to meet you.
    I found you through "Now things are cookin." Great project with the map mosaic. I am your newest follower. I do hope you come by to visit and follow along.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Excellent job! I had to look too because I just posted a room with 6 pictures that were hung like yours. I cheated and had hubby do it! I would have had a few extra holes! Your idea is awesome and you did a great job on it! Coming by from BNOTP!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice job. I'm thinking about doing something similar in our house with maps from our favorite books. Btw I'm stopping by from the blog hop and I'm now following.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This work is wonderful, it looks like modern homemade art, very beautiful, well thought, well excecuted, it looks perfect in that wall.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just love, love, love this idea especially since I am a map nut! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love this look...sure I wish I could get my hands on the $1 canvas at Target...that was a lucky find :) Laurel

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love maps and this makes them even more interesting! ... I'm sure I would have those pieces all mixed up!

    ReplyDelete
  21. My husband adores maps and would love this!! Thanks so much for linking up at Mop It Up Mondays. I'm featuring you tomorrow!
    {HUGS},
    kristi

    ReplyDelete
  22. Such a great idea, love the way it turned out!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This turned out great! I have a large wall in my family room on which I wanted to do a similar thing, but using a large print. I like how you used a map; I hadn't thought of that. I may "steal" this! ;) Thanks for the great post!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by. I hope you'll say hello and let me know your thoughts. I'd love to hear from you! Unfortunately spammers have been at an all time high, so I will no longer be able to accept anonymous comments.