Tuesday, May 08, 2012

Treat Your Tastebuds

As promised...it's time to step into the kitchen and stir up a little chocolatey goodness. Yes, I'm two days late and without a video demonstration. Not that I didn't film the process, but honestly, it's tricky to film while you stir and talk. These are skills best done with ample thought, time and perhaps an assistant. What I got for my efforts in that department are probably best saved for a blooper reel some day in the future. 

See the pretty blue cups all in a row in the background here? They were a Goodwill find two weeks ago. I really had no where to store them, so they got lined up on top of the stove and have brightened things up nicely. The space above them is still waiting for me to create a weathered sign and hang it there. 

I'm working on it...

Meanwhile, it's getting hot out there. It's getting even hotter in here. It's been climbing toward the muggy mid to upper 80's, and I'm holding out on using the airconditioner - yes, I'm working on maintaining a low electric bill for one more month. The stoic in me just knows we can make it without it AC until the end of May. The wimp and the whiner in me says other things, but so far The Stoic is winning.

This weather means ice cream is in the forecast. No, I don't care if it is beach weather (it's almost always beach weather here) I am not wearing a bathing suit ever again anyway, so I'd like to have a bowl of ice cream now and again, thank you.

Lately my preference has been vanilla with hot fudge sauce. I'm not too worried about having a little ice cream now and again because I'm not that big of an ice cream eater, but on the occasional evening, especially if it's hot out, sometimes it's just the thing, and especially if there is hot fudge.


Around here, Publix is one of the few brands that still give you a half a gallon of ice cream. The others have all been gypping us and have made their containers smaller while they raise the price. Tricky little devils.

So, Im thinking it's time to get some hot fudge sauce made so I can enjoy this frosty goodness.

Why not just buy jar sauce, you ask? 

Excuse me?

I. Don't. Think. So. 

Bite that tongue of yours and listen up. We do not eat hot fudge out of a jar, unless we made it and poured it in that jar ourselves. Got it? There are some prepackaged foods (fake foods) that are absolutely unacceptable in this house, except under dire circumstances.
  • Hot Fudge
  • Whipped cream
  • Frosting - definitely no store bought frosting. I can't even think of a situation dire enough in this life in which we will ever again stoop to store bought frosting. Might as well hook yourself up to a chemical pump and inject it straightaway into your taste buds as to feed yourself store bought. For me, it's pure butter all the way.
And I ask you, why be unkind to perfectly obliging taste buds! They've been such an entertaining part of your life. Sometimes sweet, sometimes sour, sometimes spicing things up and making the party happen! You owe 'em.

Still worried about a few calories, some fat or carbs or whatever dietary demons it is that lurk there in hot fudge sauce? Well, I ask you, "how short is this life?" Too short not to make some gooey homemade goodness once in a while. If you haven't reached the age whereby you understand the fleeting nature of these moments called life, give yourself a decade. Come back and tell us the tales of how just about every moment has dwindled to half the length it used to be. It will happen. You'll see time morph in ways you never knew possible. Loosen up and live it up once in a while!

So, now that you know you need Hot Fudge Sauce to make your life complete, here's the 3 ingredient recipe my mom made when we were growing up. We often made other homemade goodies and candy after church on Sunday afternoons. My mom had a sweet tooth, as I remember her telling me...and I willingly followed suit. Boy, those were the days. If we weren't making fudge, we were making penuche or pulling toffee. The glory days. Then again, today can be a glory day too. It's up to you.

There is no special trick to this recipe, and it's an especially nice treat for a party or as a gift at Christmas or to give a hostess or whatever the occasion. Pour it in one of the smaller mason jars. Tie it up with twine or colored ribbon of your choice to reflect your style or the style of the recipient, add a tag or other embellishment if you are so inclined. It will be a hit! You can quote me on that.

Hot Fudge Sauce

2 squares of unsweetened chocolate
1 can of Evaporated Milk
1 cup of sugar

If you don't have these ingredients, go get them. I'll wait. You should also consider keeping these items always on hand in case the need for a hot fudge fix overwhelms you. Your family will thank you. Well, I would if I was your family.



Begin by melting the squares of chocolate over medium low heat in a small amount of the milk, stirring constantly with a whisk so that the chocolate blends smoothly with the milk and doesn't burn or clump.



Continue to add milk gradually, mixing it with the chocolate as more of it melts, making sure to whisk and stir away the little chocolate flecks and lumps that will try to form. It doesn't really alter the flavor if they are there, but the appearance will be much more appealing and smooth without them.



Once all of the chocolate is melted and blended creamily in with the milk, add the sugar and continue to stir. Raise the heat to about medium or a bit higher and continue to stir until you reach a boil. Turn down the heat a bit to maybe medium low to medium to maintain a low to medium boil.



Pull up a chair, barstool or whatever and CONTINUE TO STIR while the fudge boils for 15 to 20 minutes. 20 minutes is preferable in my estimation as the fudge will get thicker. If you like it a bit thinner, cook and stir for 15 minutes. If you don't have stirring stamina, call in the kids to do their duty to the sugar fix. If there are no willing hands available and you do not have one of those Jetsonesque robot stirrer thingies, bring your computer in (if you have a laptop) and set it on the counter so you have something to read while you stir. The time flies right by reading all your lovely blogs.



In 20 minutes time, the fudge sauce will be getting thick, and it will smell divine. There is no need for a soft ball test or a thermometer. Just watch as it thickens.

Soon husbands and children and even you, yourself, will be happy as clams with this delight melting in your mouth and making your taste buds glad they are your own and that you cared enough to treat them to the very best.



I pour the finished product into a Ball jar or whatever container has a good tight seal and store it in the fridge once it has cooled. (Ever try to pour fudge from a pan into a small jar with your non-dominant hand and take a picture with a huge camera in the other hand at the same time? Oh, you haven't? Nevermind then. I'm just telling ya, it takes skill. You can see by the jar that I have not yet mastered that skill.)



If you intend to enjoy this right away, let it cool uncovered until it is warm enough not to melt your ice cream, and pour it on. If you don't care if it melts your ice cream, just go ahead and dig in!

Make your family and friends happy, and splurge this week. After all...

Life is short. 


Treat your tastebuds!
Tempting

More tempting...any questions?

Ready.


Okay, it was in the mid 80's out when I tried to get photos of the hot fudge on the ice cream. Despite keeping the ice cream in the freezer until the moment I wanted to take a photo, in under 30 seconds, the ice cream turned to mush. The hot fudge just slid off. Not exactly the presentation I had hoped for. Product shots sure are tricky. It was also nearly dark and I didn't get one clear shot of the sauce on the ice cream in my rush to beat the "melt". So it goes. Use your imagination. You are creative people. I trust you.

Just remember this simple recipe:

2 Squares of Unsweetened Chocolate
1 can of evaporated milk
1 cup of sugar

Blend til smooth and stir, stir, stir for 15 to 20 minutes.

Thanks for reading!

Liz

I'll be sharing this recipe with:

Photobucket

igottatrythat






Time Travel Thursday at the Brambleberry Cottage

55 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this awesome recipe. It looks soooo good :).

    Mrs .Delightful
    www.ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness this looks amazing! one of my favorite treats is hot fudge,scoop of vanilla IC, hot fudge, scoop of vanilla...repeat repeat repeat:)
    I have to try this!
    XO
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know how to live! Love it. Thanks for stopping and sharing the fun of hot fudge!
      Liz

      Delete
  3. That is the ice cream we buy, too. I am shocked how tiny Breyers packages have gotten even since last year. This hot fudge looks divine and I will have to make this. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kim, so sweet of you to stop by. It's hard to pay the money for the smaller cartons of ice cream. It's all getting crazy expensive. Gotta enjoy it while we can, right?

      Liz

      Delete
    2. And thanks for following as well. Much appreciated!
      Liz

      Delete
  4. Thanks for sharing at Cowgirl Up. I was doing pretty good, until you showed the fudge sauce on the spatula. Oh man!! How am I supposed to resist that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Resistance is futile! Thanks for the party and for coming by!
      Liz

      Delete
  5. I'm off to the kitchen for dessert! Your post made me hungry! I'm happy to be your newest follower. Thanks for visiting Cottage and Creek.
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  6. The hot fudge sounds fabulous! Thanks for sharing the recipe and I am now a follower.
    xo, Sherry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sherry, sweet of you to come over and take a look and follow. Much obliged!
      Liz

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. I just had some. It's burning up here. It did hit the spot. :)

      Delete
  8. You make it look so easy! Yummm!! Thanks for stopping by my 'place' and for the follow, I'm following you now as well. Can't wait to explore your blog!

    Barbara @ Chase the Star

    ReplyDelete
  9. love the chocolate sauce.... but i want the video!!! c'mon... back to work!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's all about time...I just did one on my other post about scraping my house. Actually, I would much prefer to see you do one. It would be far more entertaining, I'm sure.

      Delete
  10. The fudge sauce looks so yummy!! Perfect treat for a hot day! The whole jar would be so tempting to me! I love chocolate!
    I'm now following.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Christina, I'm tempted to just eat it straight. Well, I did, actually. At least that way you don't get the ice cream fat and calories as well as the chocolate. :) Thanks for following!

      Liz

      Delete
  11. Not cool!! Now I totally want some ice cream and hot fudge and NOW I just HAVE to make it from scratch because you made it look so darn easy! YUMMY! Thanks for sharing - Susan

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, but Susan, your taste buds will thank you. And I thank you for stopping by to share the "love". Hope you make it and enjoy every bite!
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  13. Homemade hot fudge,... you can do that?!?
    Okay, I'll have to give it a try, it looks SOOO good!
    Thanks so much for stopping by our blog. I love your writing style and am your new follower. Be sure to stop in and join our party anytime, you are always welcome.
    Now for that ice cream....
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patti, I hope you do try the hot fudge and enjoy it. Thank you very much for coming by and following. The link party has been great. I'll be there again soon.
      Liz

      Delete
  14. Liz, Oh yum!! Our family loves good vanilla ice cream with toppings in the Summer. I WILL make you Hot Fudge Sauce recipe!

    I have a feature Interview and Giveaway on my site with Tina from The Enchanted Home...I hope you will visit

    xoxo
    Karena

    Art by Karena

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karena,

      I'll be by to check it out. Thanks for coming by!
      Liz

      Delete
  15. Yammyyyy!
    I can hardly wait to make this myself.
    Thank you so much for sharing, Liz.
    Also, thanks for stopping by and saying hello.
    Love your blog!
    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Donata. So sweet of you to come and say so.
      Liz

      Delete
  16. Oh my...I LOVE hot fudge. I make it, too, and my kids love it! My recipe is not as simple as yours and it has butter. I want to try yours, because I LOVE recipes like this that have a few good ingredients and taste like MORE. It's symbiosis! Is it a small can or a regular can of milk?
    -Revi

    ReplyDelete
  17. Revi, around here they only sell only one size. I believe it's 12 oz. My regular fudge (as in the candy recipe) has butter and Karo Syrup, but this sauce, even though it tastes quite like the candy, doesn't. I would gladly add butter to anything. It's a staple with me. Everything IS better with butter!
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is making me sooo hungry right now. Can't wait to try this ;) I found your link on Delightful Order's Link Party. I would love for you to post this on my link party at... http://www.doodlesandstitches.com/2012/05/link-party-time.html
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. How much Chocolate was used for this recipe (weight)? We buy choc in grams here in Australia, have never heard of it being referred to as squares. Hot fudge sauce looks delicious, can't wait to try it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The box says that half a square is 14g. So that would be 28g per square, and it takes 2 squares, so 56g total. Now I'm curious as to how they package unsweetened chocolate in Australia.

      So glad you came by and asked. I hope you are able to make and enjoy the hot fudge sauce!

      Liz

      Delete
    2. Thanks Liz, we get chocolate by the block, like hershey bars are I guess. I would love to be able to browse a baking aisle in a US supermarket, we get bare basics here. I always drool over recipes but we just don't get the ingredients here like what you do. But this hot fudge sauce I can do!!!- Nicole

      Delete
    3. Thanks for coming back by, Nicole. I hope you do make the sauce and enjoy it. I would be at a loss for quite a while if I had to change all my recipes over and go by grams. Numbers aren't my strong suit, so heaven knows what I'd end up with. Probably not a lot of very enjoyable eating. :0

      Delete
  20. Liz, Thank you for sharing this yummy fudge sauce recipe! I also agree that homemade frosting is the only way to go. Visiting you from Debbiedoo's Newbie Party. I'm now happy to be following. :-) Hope you have a terrific week!
    Sharla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sharia! I hope you are able to make and enjoy the recipe! I'll be over to check out your site as well.

      Delete
  21. Oh my goodness that chocolate looks delicious!
    Stopping by from the Homemaker in Heels Party :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming by and for letting me know how you found me.

      Liz

      Delete
  22. Haven't had a hot fudge sundae in a long time, great idea! Thanks for sharing on SImple & Sweet Fridays.

    Jody

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ohmm!!! Yum! Thank you for joining me at Home Sweet Home!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  24. I would love for you to share this on my linky party!
    http://www.igottatrythat.com/p/blog-hop-linky-colde.html
    Thanks, Marcie

    ReplyDelete
  25. Stopping by from the I Gotta Try That party--this looks yummy and easy--my favorites! I'll be trying it very soon :)
    Jacki@redheadedmommy.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Liz,
    My blog buttons were not working when you got them. Sorry about that. If you don't mind getting the link button and the featured button again I would appreciate it. I checked the new ones and they are working!
    Thanks, Marcie
    www.IGottaTryThat.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh, mama. I knew we were kindred spirits! I make hot fudge, too! My recipe has butter in it, and vanilla, and cocoa instead of chocolate. Maybe that's why there's butter. Anyway - I totally agree about the hot fudge, whipped cream and frosting! I might add a few more items to the list...toffee, for example.
    -Revi

    ReplyDelete
  28. OLÁ LIZ,ME DAR AGUA NA BOCA,ESSA IMAGEM,BEIJO.VALÉRIA.

    ReplyDelete
  29. OLÁ LIZ,ME DAR AGUA NA BOCA,ESSA IMAGEM,BEIJO.VALÉRIA.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by. I hope you'll say hello and let me know your thoughts. I'd love to hear from you! Unfortunately spammers have been at an all time high, so I will no longer be able to accept anonymous comments.