Monday, February 04, 2013

Saturday's $6.00 Haul

Despite my aching back, I just had to go out and see what was out there this weekend. My car was still being uncooperative to an extent, so I headed back closer to home and found these two mirrors. The woman wanted $4 for the bigger one. That was too much for me, so I checked out the smaller broken one. (The top peice was just resting there and wasn't attached.) She said $1 would take the small one home, and that if I bought it, she'd throw the bigger one in free. Well...okay! Two for $1.00? If you insist. 


(She didn't like the look of the top of the bigger one. It does look like a transformer or something a bit creepy. I'll have to see what I can do about that.)

The little hat stand above was purchased together with the pedestal globe below and I got the two together for $2.00. I'll likely paint the wood pedestal on the globe. The hat stand is staying as is for now and is serving as a parking place for a straw cowboy hat for the time being.

Then this showed up at a sale near home. The man wanted $10 for it because he said it was an antique shoe holder. Someone had painted over the old finish on the top with an ugly spray paint. I just liked that it could hold stuff and wasn't too big. 
I saw it as storage for the bathroom of some kind. I could paint it a bright color to add to the cheery colors on the little towel I appliqued and hung in there.

The seller quickly went to $5 on it, but I didn't want it that badly. $5 is my limit. It wasn't a "limit" item. I left and went to Goodwill which is right nearby, where everything is near or over my limit. I realized that at Goodwill, they'd ask $7 -$12 for it. Maybe $15. So I drove back by to see if it was still there. It was, but I still wasn't ready to let go of my dollar bills for it. Yes, I'm cheap, and not one to let go of something easily, once at home, I kept thinking that if I could get it for $3, it would be worth it. After all, I could paint it and use it. (I love practical!) I couldn't get it out of my head, so I had to go back AGAIN and see if I could work the deal.
Well, I did.

I went by and asked the guy if he'd take $3. He told me that it seemed like I was looking for happiness in that little box, so he let me have it for $3. Woo hoo!

Saturday's $6.00 haul.

Now, I'm pretty sure that I have enough stuff to mess with and paint and makeover, so it was time to get busy and do it...which I did. However, you'll have to wait until next time to see the result of those efforts. 

You see, I'm demonstrating my ability to shorten a post. How'd I do?

I hope you have a wonderful, creative and thrifty week!

I'll be sharing this at:




Photobucket

French Country Cottage









mop it up mondays



27 comments:

  1. Liz,
    I'd say you got some great buys, that's for sure. $3.00 box of happiness, too funny. Can't wait to see what you did with everything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job! That box looks like a vintage sewing stand. The mirrors are gorgeous! You are my kind of shopper!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a haul! Can't wait to see what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Liz,

    You got quite the haul for $6.00. My kind of negotiator. That's half the fun seeing how far our dollar will stretch. I had to laugh about the big mirror looking like a transformer! The closer I looked, it indeed look kind of funny. Can't wait to see what you'll do with everything. I would have gone back for the wood box too. Love the legs on it. Glad I discovered your blog when you visited mine one day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did great! Love those mirrors and the hat stand. I'd love to go junking with you - you definitely get the bargains!

    Jeanine

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! You did find some treasures! Can't wait to see your transformations!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You amaze me... great finds and great deals. Hope both you and your car are healing!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. The frames are fantastic. They might need a little work. I love the globe. too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Where is my story, my behind-the-scenes look, my travelogue? I was in love with the two French-y mirrors until you mentioned transformer. Love the sewing box and the hat stand. Maybe you could do a two-parter: one post short and sweet, and one post meaty with details :>)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great haul and those are totally amazing prices! well done!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, you did good, real good! Love those frames and that little table is just darling.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, it does look like a transformer.lol Love the mirrors and the "Happy Box! Great deals!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love that the gentleman said you were looking for happiness in that box. What a smart alec!!! lol. My mom has one that is similar, and she thought it was a sewing box, or a crochet supplies box. Does that seem possible? Can't wait to see how everything turned out. Great bargains!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think you are equipped with some crazy radar...you find some great stuff for nothing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. After reading that and looking at your fantastic purchases, I wish I could take you with me on my trips to negotiate. Very impressed with your style, both decorative and bargaining. I can't wait to see the transformations!
    melinda

    ReplyDelete
  16. You'd make Monty Hall proud, girl! I can't believe you scored all those treasures for only $6!!! Maybe the sellers just felt sorry for you with your hunch-back body. Hmmmm......there could be some truth to that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. What great little mirrors and such a steal. I seem to be able to find frames, but seldom do they have mirrors in them. My daughter would like to do a wall of ornate mirrors in her long, narrow and dark kitchen to catch the light from the only window and brighten up the place. Hopefully I'll come across some when the yard sales start in the spring, just in time for her to move again.
    Sounds like your back is getting better.
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh Liz forget the "shortening" the post...you grab my attention with "$6 haul" and I'm hanging on to the finish girl.
    About that BOX..I kinda think Donna may be right about it's being a SEWING BOX no matter it's a WOW..re LIZ THE GREAT NEGOTIATOR: "fOLKS YOU JUST HAVE TO BE WILLING TO WALK AWAY."

    Jonell

    ReplyDelete
  19. OOPS..did it again..Read the SWEETHEART post on LGH

    jh

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'd say you did very well!!! But those chippy mirrors look just perfect to me!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Looks like you found the bargains of the week! Those mirrors are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  22. i want to take you with me on my junking trips--you can talk people down way better than i can:) love the pair of mirrors esp., liz!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Stick to your guns girl and don't go over budjet! That's the way I like to shop! Fabulous buys! Loving your blog; I'm your newest follower. Oh, and thanks for stopping by my blog. I am so glad you did! ~Kristie

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great finds! I especially love the hat stand :-)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh WOW!! Love your haul. My kind of price too. Good job!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. What great treasures for so little money! Now you really know how to pick a garage sale!Those mirrors are great. Can't wait for all the transformations!
    Hugs,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by. I hope you'll say hello and let me know your thoughts. I'd love to hear from you! Unfortunately spammers have been at an all time high, so I will no longer be able to accept anonymous comments.