Tuesday, July 02, 2013

Tattered & Frayed - Serving Under the Banner of Freedom (a repost)


(This was first posted last July. I haven't time for any such cards or decorations this year, so I thought I'd share it again, especially since many of my readers won't have seen it.)

A couple of years ago, when my son was still in the Marine Corps, I flew a flag at my house that was kept up during the duration of the time his unit was in Afghanistan. He had not deployed that go round due to an injury, but I was in constant contact with other parents of those who were serving with his battalion.


As Old Glory flew over my house all those months while the men were deployed, it became tattered, faded and worn. Although I know we are not supposed to fly a flag in that condition, it was an especially symbolic and sentimental flag to me and it was my constant reminder to pray for these men each day. I wanted that flag to fly until they returned. Every time I went out my front door or came back in and had to flip the flag back around the pole as it got twisted in the breeze, I would pray for the Marines of the 2nd Battalion, 2nd Marines.

When the fourth of July rolled around, I felt compelled to send out a 4th of July message to my family and close friends, as well as many of the families of the 2/2 Marines with whom I kept in touch. The message was a reminder of the sacrifices made on our behalf by these men, and the freedoms that we as a nation, and as individuals, are blessed with because of their service. 

Each card was a variation of the same thought, using patriotic song verses and strips of the tattered flag that had flown during the deployment. A crystal was placed at the top of the flame on the Statue of Liberty image to symbolize freedom's holy light.

Here's what I said in some form or another on each card. (Please forgive the horrible handwriting. I made 25 or so of these cards, which were time-intensive to create. On some, the note was personalized and even longer, so I really didn't even bother trying too hard on my handwriting.)

I'm still not exactly sure that my disposal of the flag would literally be considered proper or dignified, but all who received it in the spirit in which it was presented to them seemed grateful for and accepting of my method, and appreciative of the significance that accompanied it.

Below are a few variations of the fronts and insides:


I have since made other America themed cards and tags. Below are a few.





The 2nd Battalion, 2nd Marines Flag card was probably among my favorite card projects I've done because of the history and significance behind the design. Many of those within the Corps to whom it was sent planned to keep it with their other Marine Corps mementos. It was also among the most time consuming cards I've done. Of course, that does seem to be the way I roll.

More to come about FREEDOM leading up to and on Independence Day.

God Bless America...

I'll be sharing at some of these parties:


mop it up mondaysFunky Junk's Saturday Nite SpecialFurniture Feature FridaysFrench Country CottagePhotobucket    


Sunday                          is the day to share
Ivy and Elephants  

23 comments:

  1. Liz
    You tugged at my heart with this one. I so love these cards. What a beautiful re love of the flag and what it stands for. Beautiful!
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a beautiful post with such a good tribute to our fabulous country and the freedoms we have because of the brave and strong men and women that serve out country!

    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a thoughtful use of a flag with true meaning. I often use tattered flags as symbols of their glory and do not think they are being demeaned in any way. Both my husband and I were very moved by this tribute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that is an extremely GREAT way to use the old flag. Awesome cards with such meaning in each one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perfect post, what else can I say. Thanks for joining Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful heart felt post! Love the cards!!

    Thanks so much for your visit!!

    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an awesome tribute to our great country, and to those who serve so selflessly! May God Bless us all!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The cards are so nice and thoughtful Liz, just like their creator.
    Bliss

    ReplyDelete
  9. Liz, what a special flag and what a special woman and Mom you are to make these wonderful cards. They are works of art from the heart. Happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Liz....I love this! Thanks so much for reposting so your new readers could read it. I can't think of a more honorable way to dispose of the flag you proudly flew over your house for those marines. What an amazing tribute...:) Have a safe and blessed 4th my friend!

    Blessings, Vicky
    Life On Willie Mae Lane

    ReplyDelete
  11. you are so creative. What a wonderful, meaningful cards

    ReplyDelete
  12. How thoughtful of you to take the time to make all of those wonderful cards. What a great idea! You are just full of them!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a gorgeous post. Perfect and to the heart of the holiday.
    Happy 4th of July! Thanks for sharing with us.
    Hugs,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  14. Absolutely beautiful Liz - I can't think of a better way to use your flag then by showing gratitude for those who fight for and defend it.................
    XOX

    ReplyDelete
  15. Each handcrafted piece is a treasure to be received. Touching and heartfelt reminders of the price paid for those stars and stripes. And even more the God our forefathers believed in and upon Whom this country was founded.
    Thanks Liz! A blessed Fourth to you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so glad you reposted this. I am sure that anyone who received one of your beautiful cards treasures it.

    Perhaps you'd like to share your post at Seasonal Sundays.

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a wonderful thing for you to do. I missed this post last year, so I'm glad you shared it again. I'm sure these personal notes were an inspiration to everyone who received them. Thank your son for his service!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love this! What a great (and meaningful) idea!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  19. Liz, it may not be proper, but I feel it is a cherished keepsake. I'm sure it touched the hearts of each one of them. Love all of the statements you included! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love this idea. I am not sure if that was the proper or appropriate way to rid yourself of the flag but I imagine that the recipients were more grateful to receive a piece of home that it shouldn’t matter. This was a wonderful project thank you for sharing the pictures with us.


    Please visit My Website: PhD Degree

    ReplyDelete
  21. It was during my research on HIV/Herpes that I stumbled upon the Hiv/Herpes information; information which is quite easy to find when doing a search for STD on google. I was into conspiracy at the time thought of HIV/Herpes Cured' being a conspiracy was something Ignorance though,I found pretty interesting about herbal medicine. I asked questions about the Herbal cure's on official HIV/Herpes websites and I was banned for doing so by moderators who told me that I was parroting Hiv/Herpes propaganda. This reinforced my belief that there is a cure for Hiv/Herpes Then i found a lady from germany name Achima Abelard Dr Itua Cure her Hiv so I send him a mail about my situation then talk more about it and send me his herbal medicine I drank for two weeks.And today I'm Cured no Hiv/Herpes in my life,I searched for Hiv/Herpes groups to attempt to make contact with people in order to learn more about Hiv/Herpes Herbal Cure's I believed at this time that you with the same disease this information is helpful to you and I wanted to do the best I could to spread this information in the hopes of helping other people.That Dr Itua Herbal Medicine makes me believes there is a hope for people suffering from,Parkinson's,Alzheimer’s disease,Bechet’s disease,Crohn’s disease
    ,Cushing’s disease,Heart failure,Multiple Sclerosis,Hypertension,Colo_Rectal Cancer,Lyme Disease,Blood Cancer,Brain Cancer,Breast Cancer,Lung Cancer,Kidney Cancer,Love Spell,psoriasis,Lottery Spell,disease,Schizophrenia,Cancer,Scoliosis,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans Progressiva.Infertility,Tach Disease ,Epilepsy ,Diabetes ,Coeliac disease,,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis,Autism,Alzheimer's disease,Adrenocortical carcinoma.Asthma, (measles, tetanus, whooping cough, tuberculosis, polio and diphtheria)Allergic diseases.Parkinson's disease,Schizophrenia,Lung Cancer,Breast Cancer,Colo-Rectal Cancer,Blood Cancer,Prostate Cancer,siva.Fatal Familial Insomnia Factor V Leiden Mutation ,Epilepsy Dupuytren's disease,Desmoplastic small-round-cell tumor Diabetes ,Coeliac disease,Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease,Cerebral Amyloid Angiopathy, Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Scoliosis,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity
    Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans ProgresSclerosis,Seizures,Alzheimer's disease,Adrenocortical carcinoma.Asthma,Allergic diseases.Hiv_ Aids,Herpe ,Copd,Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.
    Dementia.,Hiv_ Aids,Herpes,Inflammatory bowel disease ,Copd,Diabetes,Hepatitis,Lupus,I read about him online how he cure Tasha and Tara,Conley,Mckinney and many more suffring from all kind of disease so i contacted him . He's a herbal doctor with a unique heart of God, Contact Emal. ... drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com Phone or whatsapp..+2348149277967.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by. I hope you'll say hello and let me know your thoughts. I'd love to hear from you! Unfortunately spammers have been at an all time high, so I will no longer be able to accept anonymous comments.