Monday, May 28, 2012

Flowers, Finds, Projects and Midcentury Delights

Just because it has been such a nice weekend, I'm in the mood to share a few of my weekend finds and show you how I took the color God has provided and brightened up my patio area. I'll even try not to be wordy, but I certainly can't promise anything.



Newly purchased periwinkles were planted inside a new garage sale find toolbox for some pretty pink and lavender contrast.



Whatever these are, they were cute and cheap. They got planted in the tray that goes to the tool box. Not much depth for them to grow in, but I'm giving it a shot.



Bought and PLANTED Dahlias today too!



Check out the uber cool rolling seat I got for $1. I used it while planting and it was wonderful! I love a practical find, especially one made of metal, all weathered and worn...and on wheels with a spot to set my tools even!



More toolbox periwinkles.

The trusty new rolling seat helped save my back as I pulled all these dead grassy strands out of those two planters. Wow! 


Sweet scene



Now to the exciting finds of the day and the nitty gritty of what I drug home:
Yes, two new beasts made it home with me one at a time. Am I a glutton for punishment or what? They each barely fit. Luckily I got them just about 6 blocks from my house so two trips was no biggie.


My car's back seat has extraordinary powers. It has held numerous unbelieveably awkward and bulky items. I got this cabinet out by myself and didn't ruin the leather seat. Casey was asleep of course and was of no help.


Circular saw was $5.00 with blades, little ladder, $1.00 and clamp light 25 cents, and don't forget the cool rolling seat there on the floor for $1.00.
Oh, sure. Now she's awake and has her feet up! She was none too impressed with my thrilling finds. I actually got a stern lecture from her about how we are trying to clear things out for her sister, my mom and my sister who are coming in a couple of weeks. Well, she's got me there. How will I ever have room for everyone in this little place with all this junk? My house is my workshop after all.

Casey just doesn't understand how much I NEED those metal cabinets.

The chippy white ladder can get together with my other little one and work as a sawhorse team now that I have a circular saw. Woo hoo, because I just pulled apart all the wood I salvaged the other day and I desperately need to get it cut so I can cover an old cabinet with it to make another planter.


But wait...there's more!



Round box with numerous wooden spools of thread in it, a sweet sounding wind chime (been wanting one of those for years), stamper ink and the ladder: $3.00
Toolbox: $1.00
Rolling seat: $1.00
Casters, Paintbrushes, 2 pulleys, hook, spool of wire: $2.00
Nails: 25 cents
Glass jar with lid: 50 cents.
Coffee pot: $1
The coffee pot is not pictured. Thanks to magic erasers (Target brand) I cleaned that stained thing up as if I'd waved a magic wand. It's shiny and beautiful now. Get some magic erasers. You'll thank me.

Got a cool working woodhandled flashlight with a stand. 

At this point, the total for the day was $17.50. Not too bad.

But as you saw, on my way home I found this retro metal cabinet:


And this. 
I was unable to quell my glee. The nice man wanted $14 total for both. Another guy came and started looking at them. I sprung in to action and offered $10. I didn't want to have to mourn the loss; they had to be mine. I probably could have offered $5.00 and gotten them both. Oh well, I'm happy. Mid-century metal cabinets. Yes!
  
I should have taken a better inside shot. It was disgusting, but I worked hard on it and it is pretty dang clean now.


It has cool retro Contact Paper inside.

Paint, sticker goo and other stuff will need to be removed.



How about this Formica? It so reminds me of the finishes in our house growing up. 

Sweet curves.


I cleaned the big one well. Scrubbing was supposed to continue today as well as garage cleaning and table sanding. Only got as far as table sanding and painting and attaching seats to two chairs that have been unattached for a year. That was a big, big deal for me. Thanks to E.B. (my drill) it is now done. I'm really starting to fall for old E.B.

 Yes, I got the legs back on the table, and sanding has begun on the top.


 There was lots of paint and whatnot on it.


Almost done sanding...but then what? Heck if I know. Any ideas? 

If you are squeamish, you may want to avert your eyes both because of the shame I'm going to divulge regarding the table wash gone awry and the disgustingly huge lizard I'm going to show you. First my shame:

I didn't even bother trying anything on the legs yet. This falls into the "Don't" category.

I worked on the table all day and just let one thing lead to another with some green paint I had on hand. Not pretty. I was limited in my sanding power because I ran out of sand paper right away and didn't want to leave to go to the store, so I kept using worn pieces. I should have just painted it full out. I see a redo in my future. This will HAVE to be painted over, because even Casey made some very expressive facial gestures at it (not positive) when she came home, and she's the one who said she could care less what I did with it or what color it was (even if it was red, purple, green, blue or orange, because she wouldn't ever pay it a bit of mind to it). Now she has an opinion...great.

The good news is...

 Yes! Wheels. The casters I got off the chair by the side of the road the other day fit into the holes on the bottom of these legs perfectly. I was so excited! I think everything should be on wheels! So who cares if I sanded and painted and sanded again all day and now will have to redo... This baby rolls now!



And I leave you with this...this is what I'm up against out on my patio...and he's not the only one. There are "the others", and they procreate at an alarming rate. Help! Someone with a good lizard remedy please leave me a solution. They have overrun my house in both the back and front yard. These guys are eyeing my Rascal as their new habitat. 

Uh uh! Nobody better mess with Rascal! I'll have none of that!

Come and visit over at:



26 comments:

  1. GREAT FINDS!! I'm coming with you next time - that's exactly the ladder I've been searching for.
    Stick to your guns and keep dragging stuff home, you're saving the planet!

    xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. What gorgeous flowers! i also love your finds, very cool stuff!!!
    dont worry about the lizards, they are the best at eating flies and mosquitos. i am always happy to see them :-).
    thanks for visiting my blog and for your lovely comment on my poster diy. got me to visit you. i like it here and am following you now with gfc. would be honored if you would like to follow back, but no hard feelings if not :-)
    have a beautiful day!
    jutta

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those metal cabinets are so nice! And so is your "pet" Rascal!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so like you when it comes down to the lizards. If you ever find a remedy please share with me. I often find them sneaking in my house. (ugh). You got some great finds, I can't wait to see what you do with the metal cabinets!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow...what a post!!! I can't believe all the cool things you found and all the work you've done! I'm loving that metal cabinet...and that little rolling seat is THE BEST! I'm following now...got to see what you find next!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yea! I got this via email. No photos, and no header asking if I wanted them, though. BUT I just popped over to see them, so it's all good. LOVE magic erasers, and that your wheels fit! Lets talk color later...
    -Revi

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh, you HAVE been busy! Great finds and, um, ... interesting company you have there on the patio. I don't mind lizards if they're in low enough quantities. Too cold for them to hang out here... unless they wear rabbit jackets! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh,you have some good finds! My son has a metal dresser and nightstand that we are planning on redoing, eventually! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Liz, Originally, I believe these metal pieces were used in hospital rooms. Check out this one http://thesmithgarage.blogspot.com/2012/03/metal-madness-with-pittsburg-gray.html
    Hunter & I haven't started working on his yet but when we're finished, they are going in his room. Blessings, Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love how you use such interesting containers for your plants and flowers, and such lovely flowers! Great inspiration. You found some interesting finds.

    ~Emily
    The French Hutch

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am really curious as to what you are planning on doing with those metal cabinets! I have two of them shoved in the back corner of the barn and have always hung onto them for some reason. They were just too cool to part with. They are as dirty as yours are as well! LOL

    Don't you just love cars with extraordinary powers? My car is the same and always seems to have enough space to fit one more yard sale find.

    Have fun with your finds!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! What great finds, you are going to be very busy.

    The new plantings are great...don't you love this time of year, so many glorious flowers.

    Have fun with all of your new discoveries.

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW....you got $17.00 worth of fabulousness! And lizards don't bother me. You didn't see my post of a week or so ago. Now what I showed really bothers me! :) Love your little rolling seat. Wonder if a mechanic used it? I once saw the most awesome tri-light in a mechanics garage and told the guy how cool I thought it was. He said that he had made it out of necessity and didn't see anything cool about it. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was drawn in by your beautiful flowers and then shortly after by your incredible finds. Surprises around every corner.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your gorgeous flowers and fabulous repurposed planters - too clever! Thanks for your sweet note - I'm super glad I found you. I'm your newest follower :)

    Carolyn
    {my simple messterpiece}

    ReplyDelete
  16. I take it back _ please,please do NOT get a truck - leave some junk for the rest of us! I heart, heart, heart those metal cabinets. If you are really patient and have a heavy duty sander, sometimes you can distressed them until some of the metal shines through! I usually leave the once sparkly Formica tops (especially if I find a turquoise one), but you can seal it and paint over without worrying about the paint peeling.

    Signed : The Very Green With Envy
    Distressed Donna Down Home

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love your flowers and all your great finds! You have been one busy girl! Can't believe what you can fit in your backseat!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you so much for popping by & leaving a sweet comment on my blog. I'm enjoying my visit here. You're such a good writer & your projects look like a lot of fun! Have a great weekend!

    Warmly, Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  19. That metal cabinet is fabulous. I can't wait to see what you do with it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. just so ya know...i just bookmarked your blog and titled it COOL BLOG..i'll be back to read MORE....:)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I just love your blog. You have such a joy in your writing and a humerous way of looking at everything! Thanks for the inspiration.

    blessings,
    karianne

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh I love those metal cabinets. Once you get them painted you will love having them. I recommend Rustoelum enamel finish for this type of cabinet. I have something kind of like this that I restored. If you want to check it out...http://www.somewhatquirkydesign.com/2012/04/i-hate-my-kitchen.html

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow such great finds!!! I want to come next time! :)

    OMG, I freaked when I saw that lizard. I seriously might have a heart attack if it was anywhere near me. We have tiny little geckos in the area and I've accidentally come in close contact with them three times and I freak out so bad I nearly cried. Lol. My husband laughs at me but I can't help being terrified of things like that.

    ReplyDelete
  24. When I purchased my home ( an older bungalow ) it had one of those tin cabinets in it as the main work area. Housed the sink and about a foot of workspace on either end
    I know it was retro and I should have loved it but I did not...I could not wait to save up to get something normal and wooden. So now I wonder what you'll be doing with your tin cabinet. While I sold the kitchen piece I have another smaller one similar to your find that was left here in a closet. I just use it for Tupperware, etc storage...never thought of fixing it up or anything :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow!!! What great finds!!!! Those metal cabinets are awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by. I hope you'll say hello and let me know your thoughts. I'd love to hear from you! Unfortunately spammers have been at an all time high, so I will no longer be able to accept anonymous comments.