Monday, September 17, 2012

Somebody Stop Me!

Why? Because yesterday morning after church, I went back to that same sale from Saturday one last time. (Yes, that makes four times. I know!) I had to. The instrument case was haunting me. It was only a dollar after all, so with a good night's sleep and a full day of rational consideration about this weighty matter, I realized that it was too good a deal to pass up if it was still there. The estate sale was still going on, and it was one of the few stragglers still sitting in the garage looking woebegone and leftover, so I lugged it home. I'm the proud owner of another somethingorother to go with all the whatchamacallits that I have already introduced to my life and my family.

Before I show it to you, here's a shot of the shabby chair I drug home from the trash a couple weeks ago and whose seat I ripped off and threw in the trash, which left a gaping hole. Not much good for sitting.

But great for framing up some pretty little yellow lovelies.




By polyurethaning the heck out of it, the chippy paint it had going on was locked in for good so no more of it would come off in the thunderstorms and gullywashers we have been having quite regularly. Add some pretty yellow weeds, sold under the generous name "flowers" in the South of Florida, and this cast off is humming a happy little tune out on my patio. It is literally humming because bees, or maybe just wasps, are having a heyday in there!

So back to the instrument case. Who doesn't love and need an instrument case? It's a staple, right?

Well, no, I don't play an instrument. I'm not musically literate in the least; can't exactly even whistle without sounding flat, but now I'll have a case with which to pack up and carry my musical dreams along with me...


This is just to show you how rusty the handle and clasps were (at the top). The whole thing was filthy and the lining had been ripped out of the inside, leaving behind two stamped dates, the one above on one side and one on the other side that said, August 22, 1969.

So who wants to tell this musical illiterate which instrument this is for? Can you tell it's size from the photos? It's a bit over 2 1/2 feet long, a foot wide and about 6 1/2 inches deep.

And tell me...what would you do with a hardshell instrument case if you didn't have the instrument or any musical ability to pair it with? I'd love to hear if you would find any use for it, and if so what that might be. I'm thinking of lining the inside with old sheet music or some sweet fabric, should the right textile come along. After that, I'm not sure.

What about you? Any ideas?
Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special


Sunday's Best @ My 1929 Charmer
Thrifty Treasures @ Southern Hospitality
Furniture Feature Fridays
Time Travel Thursday @ The Brambleberry Cottage
Share Your Cup @ Have A Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson
Primp Your Stuff @ PRIMP
Wow Us Wednesdays @ Savvy Southern Style
Be Inspired @ Elizabeth & Co.
 
Tuesday to Do @ The Blackberry Vine

28 comments:

  1. I'm musical illiterate myself, but my guess it that it's for a keyboard. Whatever it was, you'll turn it into something special. Oh yeah, lining it with music is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha! I'm laughing because this sooo sounds like somthing I'd do! lol

    OK, I saw an AWESOME instrument case that was opened, padded and tuffed on both parts of the inside and had legs....it was the cutest bench ever! --Just a thought :)

    --Katie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liz you don't need our help in the idea dept. YOU'LL COME UP W SOMETHING THAT WILL BE AMAZING..sounds like you have a glimmer of inspiration after all. You do like to challenge yourself don't you ,LOL!! keep us posted

    jh

    ReplyDelete
  4. sometime violin/viola cases are rectangular in shape, but without the inside shell-liner, I am not sure what it could have been for...either way, I am sure you'll put it to a good use :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm... I'm saying a 'WIND' INSTRUMENT! HA!
    Pretty broad brush...that's what I'm painting with.

    So...YOU need ideas,huh? I highly doubt that.
    But a table has been suggestes. Something with legs.
    Off the top of my head...
    I'd say-- hang it long ways on the wall; add shelves to the inside and make a medicine chest. Knick-knack-- curio shelf...
    Message center.
    lay it flat on a desk or hang it on the wall that way...make a charging station out of it.
    Use it in your car for tools... you know for quick dismantles, curb side.
    take it apart and make two ottomans or two doggie beds...
    Put legs on it and make a piano bench out of it...you know you can store sheet music inside (that's what piano benches do...store sheet music.
    Keep it on buffet with a decanter and some crystal glasses for sparkling water, Iced tea, liquor (if you wanted) ...or Kool-aid!

    that's all I got.
    can't wait to see it. Pat

    ReplyDelete
  6. I honestly don't know what you would do with the case other than use is as a decor piece.

    Love the idea of polyurethaning the heck out of the chippy chair. I have a bench I may do the same to!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the chair!! and the pretty yellow flower in it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Liz, I adore your garden chair with the daisies growing up!
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your chair and the daisy seat!! Now, as for the case... hmmm. I haven't come up with anything yet but keep it closed so it doesn't become a lizard condo! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Liz!!!!!!
    Go on....all are beautiful!!!!!!!
    Kisses!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How about turning it into a CD/DVD rack? The music sheet lining is a great idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. The chair looks cute with the daisies poking through.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your planted chair, a perfect use for a seatless chippy chair.The instrument case is great and a wonderful element for making vignettes. Thanks for visiting me, you have a great blog and I'm a new follower.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm SO glad you went back for this. I have absolutely no idea what to do with it, but I couldn't stand for you not to have it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a dainty little chair full of daisies...I love it!
    Smiles,
    Carolynn

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love what you did with the chair! It's gorgeous. Good luck with the music case. Can't wait to see what you do with it!!! Happy huntin'!

    ReplyDelete
  17. you are so creative...the chair is FUN! have fun with whatever that case is.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love that chair and the flowers look so cute in it. Can you believe people throw out these beautiful chippies!!!!! So glad you could save it from the trash and relove it at your home. Looks so cute.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great find! You can always find a place for a chair with flowers in a garden! Super pretty!
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  20. A little spray paint goes a long way. Then you could use it for storage and as a display prop. Thanks, Angela @ Mrs. White Twig & Tea

    ReplyDelete
  21. Maybe a sax case? My daughter plays sax/clarinet and the other one flute! Plus I was born in 1969 - so that case really belongs with me! So many possibilities - bathroom storage, planter ...

    And that flower chair is gorgeous!
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh girl I have no musical ability at all. Speaking of whistling, I can only do it by sucking in. Now is that pitiful? Honestly if I blow out no sound at all comes. It' really quite hilarious. When I pick up unusual items I just usually plant them. But I think you could make it into some fun and creative storage for a craft or sewing room. Lining it with music sheets would be fun. Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    Hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  23. when I read that you went to the same sale 4 times... I knew we could be friends. LOL
    following back :)
    Marcy

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm thinking a clarinet case, because the box is so long and narrow, seems to narrow for a violin it would need to be wider. What came to mind for me is a great place to store dishes display, stacked behind each other. But whatever you do I know it will be super cool! Thanks for sharing your inspiration with Sunday’s Best – you helped make the party a success!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by. I hope you'll say hello and let me know your thoughts. I'd love to hear from you! Unfortunately spammers have been at an all time high, so I will no longer be able to accept anonymous comments.