Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Rehab For a Rascal

I think it's been about two and a half weeks since I met this little fella carousing with some unsavory trash on the other side of town. I could tell he was a good kid at heart, despite the fact that he was out cold, faceplanted in the mud after an all nighter out in the elements. 
He seemed to have a good heart. I knew if I got him through my rehab program for wayward stuff, it was possible he could come out with a new attitude and maybe even a future doing something useful with his currently abandoned and empty life.

The faintly sweet cigar scent that lingers tells me he's been naughty - probably trying to impress a big dresser or a highboy, but that's behind him now. I won't hold it against him. He's got potential. Tomorrow will be a new day for the little rug rat. I have high hopes for him and all that the future - and his drawers - might hold.

The week after my protogé came home with me to live in the growing pile in the Florida room, I found this wine box at a yard sale for 75 cents.

Then, last week I bought some soil because I wanted to make a planter for my roses and figured I'd like to have it on hand just in case I actually ever get around to it.  It's still lying there in my trunk. Typical. 

Plus these little beauties would really like a new home planted in dirt somewhere. They are probably wishing they'd gone home with someone who would have actually taken the time to nurture their blossoming young lives. Well, at least I haven't killed 'em yet.
Yes, they are waiting so patiently in the basket of the bike I snagged during a junking journey some time ago, and don't they class up the place in their shades of pink? I think they are actually quite happy there despite me.

My patio is in dire need of some attention, some style... some something. So tomorrow morning the troubled end table will get some paint that might help it weather the great outdoors, out there where it could be useful, along with the wine box. 

We'll see how that goes. Right? Because once I decided that, I realized it could also work in my living room that has sort of gone coastal. I might like to have a mismatched end table style for a while, who knows? So now I have a dilemma. Will it be an indoor or an outdoor life for this little fella. Oh boy...

I tend to play it safe, after all I'm up to my eyeballs in salvaged junk that I need to remove from the back room, so I really don't have endless hours to paint and then paint again if I don't like it. I need to just give it some white or whatever and call it done. Nothin' fancy, especially if it stays outside. Then again, turquoise and shades of green always weather so well in the hot Florida sun and the afternoon showers. It'll more than likely end up whatever color is left on hand.


Hang on little dears...soil is coming!

There is something to be said for collecting as you go and as you snag what you find and then holding it until such a time as a plan comes together.

Yes, it's good to have some things on stand-by for future greatness. I must, however, remember thisfuture greatness can mean present problems, especially if we're discussing rogue elements that find their way into the back seat of the car and on into the growing pile inside the house, things from all over town and from every walk of life. This "collection" has been known to cause undo sighing. I hope to remedy that.

So, tomorrow morning it's on! Some things will be relocated out of my indoor pile (yahooie!) and rehab for a rascal will be underway.  

Check back and see what becomes of my little bad boy! It will be a surprise...even to me. Humble steps forward, likely, but new beginnings all the same.

...perhaps he will be a rascal no more.



Too Much Time On My Hands













 
French Country Cottage


Fridays Unfolded

Photobucket

16 comments:

  1. that looks so cool! love it! found you via the blog hop xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute story to keep me entertained and wondering what you'll do with it...looks lovely with flowers. Thanks for commenting on my Honoring Those Who Serve. ~Zuni

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to see how you little dresser turns out...good luck with the sorting. It's hard to get started...but feels SOOO good when you're done. I just did some "sorting" here too :) Laurel

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Liz, I'm a new GFC friend. I would love if you stop by http://hotflashncraftn.blogspot.com/, and be mine, too. I've been tell my boyfriend for months that I would organize my craft/sewing stuff, I'm just busy. It drives his OCD to the point of explosion... I giggle.. I love that wine box, I couldn't have passed it by, either.

    ReplyDelete
  5. well how stinkin' cute is that! I love that too, the joy of finding treasure you already have!! fun

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cute... looking forward to the next reveal!! Thanks for your sweet comments on my trellis fence and for stopping by my blog. Hmmm... this fence was a little 'buildy', especially the routing part, and the post holes. Couldn't have managed that part on my own. I'll have a look through the book and see if there is something a little more basic. It's nice to have something different than store-bought trellis. Glad you liked my little birthday pic in the holiday trailer circa 1964; one of my fav's! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. We should probably keep your rascal away from my Martha...unless you rehab him well! :)

    -Revi

    ReplyDelete
  8. what an creative idea for reusing a bureau !

    ReplyDelete
  9. That turned out so great! I love unusual flower planters!

    Stopping by from the Networking Blog Hop...I am your newest follower! I would love if you would check out my blog and if you like what you see please follow back :)
    Modern Modest Beauty

    ReplyDelete
  10. What great finds!
    Can't wait to see what you decide to do with them.
    Thanks for your kind comment on my junk turned into treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Really cute idea - can't wait to see what you do with that "bad boy"! Whether you keep it indoors or out - I'm sure that you will make it outstanding!
    Hugs -
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  12. Whatever becomes of your finds and your flowers, I sure do enjoy reading your posts. You have a delightful way with words :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm not sure which I like more, your wit and writing or your project. It's a tie! Now following :) Tanya

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this idea!! we are your newest follower! We would love for you to check out our blog!
    http://mybest-friendsblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by. I hope you'll say hello and let me know your thoughts. I'd love to hear from you! Unfortunately spammers have been at an all time high, so I will no longer be able to accept anonymous comments.