Monday, April 30, 2012

The Thrice Picked Pile

This morning, on the way to work, I was driving and thinking... still thinking about that pile from Saturday... you know, the one I have already picked twice! See my post, Sweet Saturday Haul.





I couldn't get it off my mind and even though I barely had time to get to work without being late, I veered in the direction of that pile to do a drive by and see if the trash collectors had come. I'm like that. I salvage things the first time, then regret not going for the full monty. But three times to one pile? Is that necessary? 


I could be so much more efficient.


On the way there, I spotted a new pile. [Heart skipping beats.] I wouldn't have given it a second look, except that it contained a long table with drop leaf ends. Now my heart was flipping. I'm a sucker for a drop leaf table, and this one was a bit out of the ordinary with the leaves at the ends. Could I get it in my back seat without creating a scene?  


I called my boss. She gave her blessing to a reasonable amount of "picking tardiness" and I soldiered on. Thanks, Kathryn!


The original pile was still there and while someone had gotten to it, the drawers remained! I grabbed the three that were left and a good piece of wood, threw them in the back seat and went back to the new treasure.




Sadly, when I got closer, the drop leaf table was in really terrible shape. And it was really long. The legs were falling off and the top was made of three pieces of very damaged wood. It did have three nice wood front drawers with heavy duty hardware. I pulled one out and it fell apart in my hand. Not a good sign. Still, the front was a hard reddish wood of some sort and the sides were solid and stamped, Century Furniture of Distinction. The insides were water-damaged, moldy and disgusting, but into the back seat I threw them. 




I truly wanted that table, and it could have been made into a patio potting table, but sadly I knew I could not make it fit. Besides, I told myself as consolation, it might have termites. 

Of course, I thought all day about the one that got away [sigh]. I will keep its memory as my inspiration and see about salvaging more wood and trying my hand at making one of my own in the near future. 

If I had been smart, I would have dismantled that thing and taken the legs. They were a simple shaker style and would have been perfect for something else. Kick me, kick me, kick me!

No regrets

One of these days I'll learn to pick a pile clean... the first time. I can always throw it away when I get home if I don't want it. When will I learn?! I hope you are more pick savvy than I. If not, take a lesson from my regrets. Take it all now and decide later. 

So here's what my third pick to the Saturday pile and my one pick of the new pile yielded today:


Unfinished drawers and wood. I got home and piled it all inside by the front door. Casey made the expected exasperated exclamations.

The scary drawers were taken straight around to the back porch. They came complete with some boxes of prescription "ointment."

...but aren't these beautiful?

After holding my breath as I tore down the moldy, disgusting drawers and after throwing away the unusable part, I lined them up and here's what I have left to work with some day. The ends are dovetailed. Nice.


I moved the new unfinished drawers from the "thrice picked pile" to the Florida room to reunite with the cabinets I had taken from the pile on my two Saturday picks. 

Why is it my house always looks like we are in the middle of a move?

Don't answer that.

And... ta, da... a bonus! Here's what one of the drawers yielded...

 (The name has been redacted to protect the patient.)

There were four boxes of this stuff. Ick. Just goes to show ya, though, you never know what you'll get when you pick a pile or when you open a drawer. So get looking. Just always remember to look out!

Happy hunting!

Fridays Unfolded









19 comments:

  1. That is some serious good pickens. How fun! What a nice boss you have too LOL. Thanks for sharing and joining in on the newbie party. Enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you came by, Debbie. Very sweet. I appreciate the chance to take part in the party! Stop by again sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love those drawer handles! And the treasures inside:-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is funny to see what you find in drawers. I also found a little nightstand recently complete with a Bible, sea glass and pebbles. I was happy to be able to rescue the Bible.The incidental treasures keep it interesting, for sure. Thanks for coming by!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness. This post sure had me laughing and cheering you on for your determination. You go girl! Love the story! I would have
    had "pile" regret too. I'm your newest follower and looking forward to more salvaging adventures!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for coming by and commenting... and following, Betsy. I can't wait to see what you're up to next!

      Delete
  6. Trash picking is always an adventure!!!! I have embarrassed my family a number of times with my picks! But have gotten great stuff, chairs, doors, tools, birdbaths. Keep picking! Thanks for stopping by, Laura

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Laura, it's funny how embarrassed they get...but then, I am still often embarrassed myself! I think that's why I need three quick picks rather than one good first one. Thank you for coming by to comment. I do appreciate it!

      Delete
  7. If only your car could talk the tales it would tell! Great finds! And what a lovely boss to allow for "picking tardiness"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sonya, I'm so glad you came by.You are right, I think my car would like to tell a few tales right now about how I need to get out there and clean it out. It's kinda grubby from the last batch of dirty wood, cabinets and drawers. But I see it as I'm developing it's character. :) That's fair, right? Thanks for stopping to read and comment! I hope you'll come by again.

      Delete
  8. love the drawers... hope you saved the hardware! can't wait to see what you do with them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. ...and watch out! clearly the previous owner had a serious fungus infection if s/he had FOUR boxes of that stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, kinda scary, huh. Not sure what I'll do with the drawers or that hardware. I did save it. I just dismantled the drawers and haven't removed the hardware yet. I might use the front as is for whatever I do. I hope something comes to me. :)

      Delete
  10. OK - I sneaked a peek at your blog during a break at work. Now, I'm worried my bosses are going to inquire just what the heck is so funny??? Love your picking post and even the "ointment" is good for a laugh or two. :)
    Following you back FOR SURE!
    -Revi

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay! Thanks so much, Revi. Glad you got a laugh out of it. That makes me happy. It's hard not to want to sneak peaks at blogs during work. Thanks for following me too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are too funny! But, I can totally relate, because that's exactly what I'd do in the same situation! You did get some good junk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, for coming over to see what's up here, Vickie. I enjoyed seeing all your medical items and that great Red Cross medicine cabinet you designed. Hope you'll come by again!

      Delete
  13. So glad you stopped by so I could find you! You're a junk picking girl after my own heart!
    Love the butt paste - don't people realize they need to clean out the drawers before they toss stuff?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously. The man's name was right on the box. However that table had been out in the weather for some time and the boxes were moldy, so who knows how long they were in that drawer. Still...sensitive information :) . Thanks so much for stopping by. Enjoyed reading about your great finds!

      Delete

Thanks for coming by. I hope you'll say hello and let me know your thoughts. I'd love to hear from you! Unfortunately spammers have been at an all time high, so I will no longer be able to accept anonymous comments.