Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Finding Fabulous


Recent weeks have found a variety of treasures making their way home with me. On Saturday of this past week this is what I found.

From what I can tell from a little look online, it appears this is an Early American Reproduction by the Conant Ball Co., Boston

Famous reproductions Furniture of old New England - or something to that effect.
It's a tilt top table with a sweet little space to set a vase of flowers when it's tilted. It also sports a brass lever.

The label and number
It's interesting to see how things are put together on the underside. Nice work.
Along with this table, which I got for almost nothing, these incredibly ornate gold leaf (or whatever they are) drawer pulls were in box with a jumble of lamp crystals. I've never seen any like them. Can you imagine the glam these would add to some lucky piece of furniture. 

Not to be outdone, the Pillsbury Doughboy grabbed a hibiscus to show off his potential too. He is not a vase really, but a utensil holder. All of this was purchased at the same garage sale in a little seaside town nearby.

I took a back road home because of road work, and down a side street I spotted a little 3 drawer file cabinet out at the curb waiting just for me. It wasn't in good shape, had a bad paint job and was full of cobwebs, a dead roach (hey, at least this one was dead!), dirt and a spider or two. One of the drawers was stuck, so I left it, but I grabbed the other two for the handles.

Once the hardware was off, the drawer fronts looked like they might be salvageable for some future something or other, along with the rest of the wood. Having good thin wood on hand is always a smart idea. So I tore these apart, breaking the side wood in the process because they were well put together and didn't want to come apart. I hammered away, probably to the curses of any neighbors who like to sleep in on Saturdays. To my defense, it was not that early, but knowing the sleeping habits of my own children, I can imagine they are not the only ones who like to slumber on the weekend. Not me. I prefer junking. The green interior of the small drawer was appealing enough that I took the front off of that and kept the box of it as is for whatever it might someday become.

And finally, on an altogether different note, I thought you might like a peek at my backyard company. 
This woodpecker likes to come and sit on the roof from time to time, so I end up with a good view. I happened to be in the kitchen when it stopped by the other day. I ran for my camera, but didn't have time to change over to my zoom lens. This shot was taken the through the screen. I also spotted some baby woodpeckers in our avocado tree last week, but they were gone by the time I got back with my camera. 

They were so cute!

I hope you find some fabulous along the way in your world this week too!


I'll be stopping by these link parties this week:




mop it up mondays

Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special
Furniture Feature FridaysFrench Country Cottage Photobucket


 

 
      
Ivy and Elephants

31 comments:

  1. Liz, looks like you found some bargains. Love that tilt-top table, and the hardware is unique and pretty..Happy Wednesday..Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very cool table and the drawer pulls are furniture jewelry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The drawer pulls are simply divine - fit for a diva piece of furniture. Drawer fronts - maybe signs? Love the woodpecker. Sometimes the ones around here get rowdy and hammer on the side of the house! You are on a roll with all these treasures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As usual, your finds make me sin. I covet them.

    Lord, forgive me! I really am glad Liz found them instead of me. REALLY! I like Liz. I like what she does with her finds. Please help her find more, and a truck, and a space to sell them, and make millions of dollars and have lots of fun and meet lots of nice people! Amen.
    -Revi

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG I can't believe you didn't save those drawers as shelves or to stack like a bookcase. Sigh. I keep looking for drawers that are well built but no such luck!!!

    Great finds, love that table!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. SIM LIZ,EU QUERER ENCONTRAR TESOUROS IGUAIS AOS SEUS(SORRIR).EU ESTAR DE FERIADO PROLONGADO 4 DIAS,JÁ SABER QUE VOU FICAR NAS ARTES :)) :)).BOA QUINTA.BEIJOS.VALÉRIA.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That table is awesome...it looks like it might have been a very pricey piece at one time. And the drawer pulls...be still my heart! I give you credit for ripping apart those drawers, I just don't have that creative gene to imagine how to repurpose things.

    I would love to see those baby woodpeckers!!

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the table, and those drawer pulls are divine!! Great finds!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your table is gorgeous! I hope you are going to keep her. She's even got the little shelf to hold dough boy "vase".

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great finds girl I love the drawer pulls, the table is wonderful also
    I found you on the blog From My Back Porch to Yours

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the table, it is gorgeous. Can't wait to see what you decide to do with that beauty,

    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great finds!!

    Should you decide you don't really *need* the hardware..feel free to send them my way ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Tell me true, did you have the urge to poke the Doughboy in the belly?

    Bliss

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful finds Liz. That table is awesomeness and I love the drawer pulls. At first glance I thought they were mini tiara's. Very ornate!
    Love the woodpecker too:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very cool seeing the marks on that table. Great find. I love a good scavenge! The drawer pulls are to die for!

    ReplyDelete
  16. uhH! You have an Avocado Tree?!!!
    I'm so jealous.

    of the avocado tree...not the drawers or the hardware...I have some of that in the barn.
    But...I tried growing an Avocado tree from the pits....he he he ( I like saying that) Anyway...it grew! then T.H. had his heart attack and we spent weeks in Dallas at the hospital. And well... that messed all that up. They both died.
    Now...I have a pit in my window ledge over the kitchen sink. I'm having another go at it.
    I WANT an avocado tree. Really!

    You're so lucky. Does it give fruit? If so... You're So VERY LUCKY!

    you must take a picture of it and show it!
    I'm so jealous.
    ...you have an avocado tree. huuuuuh.... Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops! ... I meant I grew two avocado trees! (and THEY DIED)

      The Honey did NOT die! For those of you that read that and don't know...

      now... I'm just laughing....!!!!!

      ...sheepishly, Pat

      Delete
  17. I love those fold top tables! You should have had the woodpecker help you out tearing the drawers apart.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That table is an awesome find and looks like it's in really good condition. Love the drawer handles, no doubt they'll find a home on one of your repurposed creations.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful finds! That table is really nice.
    I'm visiting you today from Common Ground. I co-host a Linky Party Tuesday (open thru Sat) and I'd love for you to link up! I hope you get a chance to stop by, link up and leave a comment, too!
    ~ Megin of VMG206
    Join me each Tuesday for Brag About It Link Up Party

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ooo...ooo...ooo...I want those handles! Love them! Can't wait to see what lucky piece gets that bling! (Yep, I said bling!)

    ReplyDelete
  21. LOVE that table! What a fabulous find! Life to the full! Melissa @ DaisyMaeBelle

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wonderful finds! I love the ornate detail of the drawer pulls.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow, You found some wonderful treasures. Love the fancy drawer pulls...Connie

    ReplyDelete
  24. Goodness gracious the drawer pulls are something serious. I know you are on the look out for the perfect piece of furniture for them.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Tilt top tables are so wonderfully practical. Yours looks great. And I love the drawers, you'll have to show us what you make with the wood some time. I call it junking (or junkin) too, as you can see by my website name! Blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your table is fabulous, I have the perfect piece of furniture for the drawer pulls, very pretty.
    Jeannie

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love everything but that table is FABULOUSO!!!!!!!!!! sending hugs your way! Happy Friday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great table, Liz! Looks like you had a good day. Thanks for linking to the Open House party and have a wonderful week.
    xx,
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by. I hope you'll say hello and let me know your thoughts. I'd love to hear from you! Unfortunately spammers have been at an all time high, so I will no longer be able to accept anonymous comments.