Monday, May 21, 2012

Weekend Outcomes

UPDATE: I have learned to spell casters now. Woo hoo! Please learn from my mistake further down. It's "er". 


Only went to a few garage sales this weekend. I spent $1.00 altogether and got this beveled felt backed mirror...

...which is currently residing on one of The Beast's shelves. The Beast is still white, and I'm living with it a bit to see if I should paint it this color:


While I like it, I think it might be too much in this small room in such a large dose. If I had some daring, I might paint part of it, like the cabinet doors and drawer and the insides of the shelves, this color and leave the rest white. I'm thinking the wall needs the contrast of some white. The stuff on the shelves is set off much better with white than it will be with the color, don't you think? And I'm not sure a huge amount of this color against the sandy colored wall would look that great. I don't know. Tell me what you think.


So here is the rest of what I got for my $1.00.

While I was out, I saw a pile of wood, much of which was joined together with metal brackets. 


The plan is to make a planter for my rose bushes which currently reside in containers that are rusting and crumbling.  

The thought is that having some wood already put together would be helpful.

Then I crossed paths with a pile on another street which brought me these. I, of course, didn't pick them up right away because my backseat was already full with the other wood. I had to go home unload and go back.

Seeing as this wood was already joined together, I figured perhaps I could make it work to my advantage in regard to making the planter. We'll see.

So my attempt to clear out the mess that I keep moving around in order to function (a mess which has occurred as a result of my finds)...

...those attempts were thwarted by new additions.

I did however, finally get around to taking this bad boy out to begin working on it. It needs to be sanded down and refinished. I got it for $5.00 at a cute little church flea market held under the shade of oak trees about a month or so ago. It's a super heavy duty drop leaf, which I love.



And look how it can expand. It didn't come with the leaves, but those could be made. The legs were off because that was the only way I could fit it in my backseat when I bought it.



So I spent yesterday afternoon sanding the legs. That's as far as I got. I hate sanding curved things like that. Not a quick job.

Earlier, before I got completely sweaty while sanding, I made a quick trip to Target for a slipcover. I have been searching for a white one to no avail for some time. I finally just went ahead and got the natural color Target had. I waited until I had done all my sanding and vacuuming before I put it on. It was my treat for my afternoon's progress.

Yeah, I would still like white, but I just had to get rid of the dark green that was the loveseat. It's darkness was sucking the life out of the room and I couldn't take it any more.

Oh, and on my way to Target, I stopped to get this. I had seen it the day before but was in a rush each time I drove by. I was so excited to see it because I wanted the castors.



This was one heavy duty chair. The castors are needed for a cart I redid last year but which had no wheels, and I want it to roll. I'm not even sure these will fit in the holes, but if not, I'll use them for something else. Everything is better with wheels and wheels are expensive. These are very good quality too. So, SCORE!



Okay, the weekend is over and work calls.

[sigh]

I'll be sharing this at 


26 comments:

  1. Hi Liz! Thanks for stopping by my blog. You are one creative girl, that's for sure. Looking forward to keeping tabs on your many project. Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Liz. You should definitely paint the inside/back of the shelves the blue color. I don't think any of the things I can see on the shelf will get lost in the blue. They might even show up better. White as a background is overrated!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, my, but you are great at finding treasures, liz! LOVE your blue color--anything will look great in it! love the table top and the casters, too:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Liz, you found some neat treasures - that slip cover you got from Target looks fantastic over your sofa! It appears you had a fruitful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like you are well on your way with your drop leaf table! You have some great finds!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for visiting my blog and you have some serious projects going. Looking forward to seeing how they turn out! Great idea to take the casters from that chair, too.

    Robin
    Robin Flies South

    ReplyDelete
  7. Girl, you have got to get a truck! Thanks for setting me straight on "casters". Your treasures are wonderful, but I am sticking to my vow not to drag anything home for a week. I vote blue for the inside of the beast.

    Distressed Donna Down Home

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Liz...

    First off let me say that I totally LOVE your blog! Wow...so pretty to look at and a great read. Second I want to thank you for stopping by 21 Rosemary Lane and leaving your super cool comment! I am also a baby from 1961...November...so I was really excited to find a BH&G issue from the month I was born! And thirdly this is a great post!!! What you got for $1 was a score but you are right finding that chair and keeping the wheels is a super score!

    Following you now...I truly hope you will follow me back so we '61 babies can stay connected!

    Have a great week Liz!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. those shelves are so beautifully decorated! I've got some i'm working on and Im just no good at it, haha!

    thanks so much for linking up to the blog hop!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, that is some serious yard sale haul! Can't wait to see what you do with that table, it's a beast (in a totally good way!)

    Jessica
    stayathomeista.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. You got quite a haul for $1.00! Love reading about your adventures.
    Patricia

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have a cabinet with shelves almost exactly like that. It's in my studio and my walls are about the same color too. I would probably paint just the inside of the cabinet and that way everything will pop without being too much. You sure found some fun treasures and a some awesome thrifty prices. I had to laugh at the sight of that chair laying curbside. As soon as I get one project/mess cleaned up, more stuff ends up coming home with me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Casters - Castors. Tomato - Tomahto!

    You are a garage sale diva! A $5 table, free castors!

    Love the idea of adding a pop of color to your Beast! Maybe you could stencil the inside of the shelves with that fabulous blue.
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi, Liz

    Awesome finds. Love the mirror.

    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Liz you always have something fun going on! Thee blue paint will be perfect behind the shelves!!

    Thought you would enjoy...Interview with Leslie of Segreto Finishes and her fabulous Book Giveaway! Come on Over!

    xoxo
    Karena
    Art by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  16. Okay, and I thought I was busy with my projects around here!! Unfortunately those great 1.00 and 5.00 finds mean work- but well worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's just paint, what's the worst that could happen? I say go for it, it's a great color!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fun finds...love the mirror! And I don't know, but I kinda like the idea of painting your cupboard that beautiful blue color...you could always add burlap or book pages inside on the backs of the shelves to make your treasures stand out :) Thanks for visiting and following...I'm following too! Laurel

    ReplyDelete
  19. Liz: Please see post re YOU on my Blog.
    Jonell,
    "Like Gramma's House"
    http://mygrammashouse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love that you pick up stuff on the side of the road! You never know what you might get! Thanks for following me...I'm following you back!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Nice mirror and I love the paint color. Why not go ahead with it? you can always change it back if you are not happy with the color. You sure have the creative juices flowing. I love your back yard and the fence is so pretty with the big tree over it. I'm always happy to meet a neighbor, so I'm your newest follower.

    ~Emily
    The French Hutch

    ReplyDelete
  22. What great finds. Can't wait to see your roses in the box you make. Also, thank you for the visit and sweet comment on my little girl's room. It means the world. Wishing you a grand evening. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  23. wow..you have so much stuff figured out!!! makes me realize how little creativity I really have!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oooh, treasures and projects galore!! LOVE, love that back fence & the trees!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Progress! The slipcover looks great, and I think you're right about the casters for ANYTHING. I hate sanding turned legs, too, which is why I've enjoyed painting things instead of stripping them. :)

    I want to sign up for emails of you posts and I don't think you have a "follow by email" option yet. If I grovel and beg, will you add one? I don't want to miss anything. If I just can't find it, please tell me where to look!

    OH - what about the aqua on removable panels in the backs of the shelves? I've seen this done - they could be really thin plywood or even painted foam core or something...

    -Revi


    -Revi

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by. I hope you'll say hello and let me know your thoughts. I'd love to hear from you! Unfortunately spammers have been at an all time high, so I will no longer be able to accept anonymous comments.