Monday, May 14, 2012

Zooming in on Ordinary


Yesterday, my daughter and I took off for a day of togetherness and a teeny tiny hometown adventure away from the same ole, same ole of junk rehab and internet activity. Okay, I did spend a couple of hours adding another coat of white to the "beast" to try and mask the smell of that primer (yea, it helped!), but that was the extent of my project work for the day. 

Yes, the day away served, in part, as a good excuse to put off the decision about the final color. I like to think this white coat is a necessary step to cover the brown that keeps seeping through, but in reality, it's also serving as perfectly good procrastination time.

The Beast

I ran out of paint before I was done anyway, as seen above, that is, after we made tracks for the ocean and before we went out in search of food and a shopping excursion.

At the edge of the Atlantic, we walked a little ways, sat with toes in the sand, took photos (me of waves, I'm fascinated by them) and Casey took pictures of our feet and did a rather unkind exposé of my rear as I bent over in search of sea glass in the surf. (A zoom lens in the hands of a child, even at 19 can be unfortunate.) I will spare you the atrocities evidenced therein. The images have been deleted for all time, except from my mind. Unfortunately, what has been seen cannot be unseen.  

It was relaxation, togetherness and a bit of time away to do things differently, that's what it was. 



 Distance = kindness. I made her back waaaaaaay up.



Is it just me, or is this some cute seaweed. You didn't know seaweed could be cute?


Leaving the beach, we crossed the street to walk the path in the nature area that leads to a lookout tower. We wanted to see what kind of view we might find. We'd have preferred to climb the Jupiter Lighthouse further North, but we will save that adventure until one day at sunset.



The walkway starts out shady and winds through a canopy of trees and greenery, opening to a wide sky and a vast scrubby old Florida landscape that I had always thought of as barren and ugly in my youth (the same view I now often prize as beautiful in a sentimental way). 

I truly despised Florida for this as a kid. People up North had it going on, I was convinced, lush scenes of hills, mountains, towering fruit trees, berries that could grow in the back yard, snow, fields of flowers, barns, colorful birds we didn't have. I always felt we in Florida got the shaft, obviously failing to count the blessings of the ocean and the blues skies and the joys of sunshine on the skin and seaspray in the hair.

 There was lots of this...

...and some of this. 

Weathered, stripped and lonely

Beauty lies at the feet of this old battered trunk in a dry unassuming scene, but is hardly noticeable unless you stop to take heed of the tiny specs of color sparsely scattered across the seemingly boring ground cover and get in close.

As we neared the "tower" we could see the ocean. This area is on a dune, the closest thing to a hill for miles and miles, so it's not really all that high.


It was sweltering out, and the mundane scenery wasn't doing much for me despite my connection to it through the years and the fond memories made here as a child. The pamphlet showed beautiful colorful flowers, but just walking the path, you would be hard pressed to believe the photos were taken here. So I pressed...hard. I began to walk slowly and look closely. From a distance, some of the plants appeared to be barely more than just another patch of tolerant plantlife, trying to make it where gusty salt spray and an overabundance of sunshine rule the land.

However, as with so much of life, what is hardly noticeable from a distance or with a sweeping glance is altogether intriguing up close. Thank heavens for the eagle eye and focus of a zoom lens.


This beauty reminded me of little twinkle lights, and you know how much I like those.


A humble weed, but rather striking when made the subject of a photographic study.


 I caught this bevy of beauties sunbathing along the way.


So much character in a simple tree limb.


Dry and feather light, ready to fly away with the breeze.


This one chose to wear red today instead of green.


Delicate and reaching.


A waterfall of intricate lace.




We made it to the top and the tower turned out to be no tower at all; it was merely a covering with benches that lined the perimeter on three sides. What a let down. 

We wanted to climb! We wanted a towering adventure that wowed us with a vast and beautiful glory as we looked out across the ocean! Instead we had to stand on the benches to even see much.

Despite this deflated end to the trail, what we got along the way was exploration, the adventure of a good walk (me running to catch up to Casey after stopping constantly to zoom in on all the plant life - exercise that those butt shots argued a need for),  and a close-up look at the hidden vignettes God has created, each a work of art. Up close, they are every bit the beauty I was looking for on our little adventure.

It got me thinking. My home it turns out is much like our little hometown adventure. I want a glorious presentation to unfold as we cross the threshold. Instead, unless one has stellar vision and a zoom focus, they might think we are either in the process of moving or have poor space planning skills. If they were to stop and focus-in here or there (just like out there in the natural areas of Juno Beach) they might come across a pleasing vignette and isolated bursts of inspiration and eye-catching outcomes wrought through sweat and paint splotches and whoops of joy at final touches that shouted of triumph. These create the ambiance and the ever-changing scenery called home. 


Yet, if we pull back, we're liable to see the whole of it; something unsightly sitting off to the left, an unfinished piece of furniture quietly waiting out the days against the wall, collecting dust and maybe fading as it longs for attention, great ideas in-process, and the less than appealing and/or downright ugly failures that need a complete redo and a whole lot of time I don't have at the moment. What one might see in the big picture could even appear as pointless and clumsy as a giant dry, shaggy, brown sheep dog creature does on the Juno Dunes...



...yet within and around those ragged and silly silhouettes are the beautiful sparks of God's creativity busting open wide in small and large measure, adding to the colorful undercurrent and the overall scenery of life... and they do manage to make us smile.

Caught in the sunlight, this seagrape leaf lit up and struck a pose for me.

I suppose it's all a work in progress, and I am always in the middle of something. With every completed projected comes the mess, the dreary work that gets me there; the shaggy, the dry and dark, the muddled and even the shocking, risky choices that burn the eyes and embarrass the family. Quickly squelched, I bury the evidence and move on, learning lessons and hoping next time I'll be more savvy. 

Rising up on the heels of all things lovely is something hideous to be battled and beaten into beauteous submission. It doesn't help that I bring "ugly" into the scene at every turn and create scenarios whereby perpetual construction or reconstruction hang out just at the edge of each and every something new and glorious. 

Again, I present...the Beast and its messy entourage. Ha! I just noticed the ad on the newspaper there on the floor - NO SURRENDER. How fitting! I will not give into the beast!

Painful color decisions

Those who would pass over my front porch step and into my world in the hopes of witnessing rooms to ooh and ahh over would do well to consider another sort of beauty; that being the thrill of junk adventure and the triumph of taking "the bruised and battered", restoring and remaking them into something usable or charming or with a distinctively sentimental connection to the past. 

I am not sure if the stuff of sweeping, glorious magazine layouts will ever be wrapped up and sitting unmussed in all its fresh loveliness at my house. What we do have here are the moments, the glory, the pain and the little sparks of hoopla and triumph that come with creative endeavors and Quirky Vistas. 

Focus if you must, wear blinders if you are afraid, but the good stuff's posed and waiting to be noticed, up close and individually, one by one, if not altogether in panoramic view. These vignettes of life at home are ready for the zoom lens. They aren't shy. If you catch them on a bad day, no worries, it's all a part of their story.

That's the story of the "profound" hiding out and living right here under the guise of our "ordinary". 

Stick around and you will see the tale unfold.

I'll be sharing at 






32 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see what you do with this piece! Thank you for sharing it on the "Sunday Stop"! :)
    Hugs,
    Bj

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the lines of the beast. I cant wait to see the finished product. Thanks for visiting, please come again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zooming in on ordinary....great thought! I am a lover of ordinary and have been for many years....put enough ordinary together and you get spectacular. I am your newest follower...I have a post up right now about trash to treasure gardening. Check it out at http://www.smallholdings.blogspot.com
    Sherron

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the ovalish cut out on the "beast." I looked down at the original picture... you have a great eye for potential :) I probably would have walked right by this one. Thanks for all your kind comments! And for following this girl :) I am returning the kindness... and looking forward. You are definitely a treasure finder with your camera "zooming in on ordinary" and amongst "junk" :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for visiting at Distressed Donna Down Home. I came over because I love quirky and found a kindred soul. This time of year my house looks just like your house. I do have walking trails through the projects lined up to finish, and our pets have no trouble getting around. I tend to buy heavily the first quarter of the year to have stuff on hand to restock my booth as the year progresses. This way there is time for my nieces to visit and outdoor activities. I can artfully arrange things to make it look like the house is decorated this way, but friends and family know the truth.

    I loved your photographic essay - I could smell the sea spray and feel the wet sand on my feet. You are very creative!

    Your beast will soon be a beauty. I vote for sea glass colors. A hint: if something is really smelly, I wash with white vinegar and set it in the sun. Also, cheap dollar store vanilla will curb the smell.

    This is probably more than you wanted to read so I will depart and return later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donna, I love to read, and I thank you for taking the time to read my longwinded story. Thankfully the smell of the primer dissipated as I painted over it with paint. I couldn't get it outside again to sit in the sun. It's a beast, and it has to stay put now. :) I'm happy to meet a kindred soul! Thanks for coming by.
      Liz

      Delete
  6. Hi Liz, it must have been a great day with your daughter, the pics are great!
    About the beast, I can't advise you since I'm kind of a indecisive person.. but as the ad said: No surrender! :)
    Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving me a comment!
    Greetings from Spain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny but my indecisiveness isusually only a problem for my own decisions. I know exactly what everyone else should do! Thanks for coming by "all the way" from Spain!

      Delete
  7. You are turning your beast into a real beauty I am sure! Thanks for taking us on your nature walk/ procrastination/ diversion!
    I think you have found the color for the beast right here in your own pictures. Look at the beautiful log with the roping. Wouldn't that be a fabulous color for this future beauty?
    So nice to find you... too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so true...and do you know how many times I see the perfect color on something old, worn or weathered like that? Just not in paint chip form. :) So nice to have you come by and than you for leaving a comment so I know you were here!

      Liz

      Delete
  8. Hi Liz! I was born and raised in central Florida and I never really appreciated all the state had to offer until I moved away. We are trying to sell our Virginia home so we can move back. Your photos are lovely and I am envious that you are so close to the beach.
    xo, Sherry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sherry, how wonderful! Maybe you'll make your way down South this time, huh? Oh, to be able to live both lives (the kind where you have a home up North & down South.) Now, I'm just dreamin'. Thanks so much for stopping to say hi.

      Delete
  9. Thanks so much for being a part of my 100th Seasonal Sundays.

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seasonal Sundays is always full of feasts for the eyes. Thank YOU for making it possible for us to all connect.

      Liz

      Delete
  10. Sea grape leaf and those wonderful ocean waves really called to me. Thanks for sharing such a lovely day. I am following you back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are a great combo, aren't they? Thank you so much for coming along on the path with me and for following!

      Liz

      Delete
  11. Oh Liz, I so enjoyed this little? post. The blue on the weathered timber, the sea grass that looked like a shabby sheep dog, the grape leaf which at first glance I thought was a huge butterfly. Lastly I love the beast,and by the look of the paint around the top of the paint tin,it's going to be one of my most favourite colours,aqua. I so enjoyed the walk along your magical path.
    Thank you also for your visit and nice comments. x jeanetteann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading, Jeanetteann! I'm glad you walked along with us and enjoyed the sights.

      Liz

      Delete
  12. love that mid-century piece! lucky you to be so near the beach and all its beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Liz, what a wonderful day it must have been! a getaway to clear out the cobwebs. Great photos, love seeing that sailboat in the distance! Fun watching the transformation of your cool furniture piece!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm a Northern Girl and fully understand. It's only in the winter months I long to live in Florida :) I so enjoyed your beautiful pictures!

    It looks like your beast I mean your chest is going to be a beautiful color.

    Dee

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just love everything about this post.... the chest is wonderful! AND - all of the pics from your outing are GORGEOUS! They should be framed! Thanks for sharing at my linky party, and I'm following back - can't wait to see what else you will share!! Have a great week - heather (Stringtown Home)

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh wow..your pictures of life are beautiful...you are so lucky to live so close to the beach!!
    good luck with your chest...have fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love all of the photos from your outing. Looks like you had a blast, and thanks for sharing at cowgirl up.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This looks like a wonderful adventure with your daughter! Sometimes you need to take these sort of days for yourself and your family...away from the day to day grind and taking in the simplicity and beauty of nature and family.

    Love the cute seaweed!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great idea to spend the day with your daughter away from computer, etc. Gorgeous pics of the detail in God's great creation! Thanks so much for visiting my blog. I'm a new follower to yours, Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  20. Like you I love photography and am a very amateur one. I just loved it when digital came out. Nice to meet you, sugar. Drop by often if you have the chance.
    xoxo,
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  21. You stepped away from the computer! Yay! Thanks for stopping by Shabby Sweet Tea. Following on my way out....after I read a few more posts:)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Liz...thanks for the lovely comments and for following. I am following you too. :) Stay in touch! xx R

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Liz, I loved your post and your close ups pics are fabulous! I truly could see the sheep dogs. Don't you love how God has made this world so diverse? I love traveling and seeing so much wonder. Your beach pic is cute and I love your sense of humor. You made me laugh. Thanks for following me and I am now following you. Looking forward to getting to know you better!
    Hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a wonderful day with your daughter, it looked like so much fun. Thanks for sharing all your photos on Simple & Sweet Fridays. Can't wait to see what you do to the chest. Have a great week.

    Jody

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great pictures from your hike! That chest looks like a great piece--looking forward to seeing the finished product! Thanks for linking up to Share the Love Wednesday!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by. I hope you'll say hello and let me know your thoughts. I'd love to hear from you! Unfortunately spammers have been at an all time high, so I will no longer be able to accept anonymous comments.