Friday, June 07, 2013

Walls of Gray and Blooming Color

There wasn't much desire to get dressed and moving yesterday. The rain unleashed itself upon us like tidal wave from above. The rain was so encompassing that there was a wall of gray between me and the world beyond the front porch step. Looking across the street at my neighbor's house was like trying to see through parchment paper. It was gloomy, dreary, murky and a pall of gray made prospects for the day hard to imagine.
I peeked through the front door window to see how my flag was holding up as a lull came. I should have taken the flag down as it was getting harassed by the wind and water, but by the time I was aware enough to think of it, it was too late. My petunias created a sweet frame looking toward the flag.


While pulling my curtain aside, my eyes and ears took note of the bells hanging on the door. I rarely pay much attention to them, although they do alert us whenever someone comes in and out. There's a cowbell at the top that one of my nieces gave me years ago and a little bell that had hung from the door handle of a longtime local business which moved to a new location after decades. They left the bell behind. Sure it was just junky, tattered and crushed from all the times it got caught between the door and the frame, but to me it represented a tiny piece of local history, and it now resides on the inside of my front door.
I pried the bell back into some sort of spherical shape, but there was no hope for prettifying the rope. No matter, I like the tattered effect. It tells a story. On my door, there's also a large brass jingle bell hanging at the bottom.


The rain paused to catch its breath before coming back with a vengeance, and I peeked out the kitchen window onto the back patio. The raindrops on the glass were capturing the patio lights and created a pretty twinkling show amidst the dreary day. 

I noticed the bright specs of the flowers against the green. They don't whine about the rain, they instead put their energy into blooming and perfecting their lively colors.

That's it, just a little look through the windows on a dreary day.

I hope wherever you are, whatever the weather, you find a way to twinkle, bloom and see the other side of the downpours that come your way.

And don't forget to stop for a visit at some fun link parties!


mop it up mondays

Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special
Furniture Feature FridaysFrench Country Cottage Photobucket

 

 
  
      
Ivy and Elephants

16 comments:

  1. We had a hail storm last evening that came out of nowhere but I was out taking photos on the patio. I like watching the storms. I like feeling the electricity in the air and the smell of rain.
    I'll be twinkling and blooming all weekend. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Liz,
    I know you are getting so much rain from Andrea. Your plants and grass will love it. We are finally having a day up here with some sunshine but still very cool temps. We had rain all last week and it was depressing so was glad to see the sun come out today. Love the bells.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liz I truly enjoyed your slice of life post. Your description was so detailed I felt like I was there, glancing out into the rain with you. Today will be 104 degrees with hotter weather coming so I wouldn't mine some of that water in my garden. Have a great day!
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  4. We'd love a tidal wave from above around here! Things are hot, dry and crackly. Your yard looks so lush, Liz. :)
    -Revi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your pictures are just beautiful, they really put me in that rainy day mood! And your cowbell is very sweet...it has personality! We've had a lot of rain, too, here in the Midwest. It's great for the flowers if I could just get a break to get them potted! :)

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great pictures, I enjoyed them very much! We are getting hit with the remnants of Andrea today and it is not pleasant at all.

    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was a dreary day here too....but I had to go to work! It was the last student contact day and it's oficially now my summer vacation! Hip! Hip! Hooray!!! Have a blessed weekend!

    Vicky
    Life On Willie Mae Lane

    ReplyDelete
  8. I try not to whine about rain after two years of drought, but we had eight inches from dear Andrea in the last few days. My yard and flowers love it and have grown to jungle proportions. When the sun returns, it will be pruning time - actually a task I really enjoy! Love the bells and the story behind them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. neat story about the bells. We had downpouring rain here too...that makes me sleepy...and the jet leg is not helping either

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't know where everybody lives, guess it's in midwest/east coast. It's been hot and dry here ( west of Grand Junction, Co, close to UT border). My skin just gulps down the lotion when I'm putting it on after a shower. We need rain something awful but all it does is get cloudy, sticky and blow away.
    Loved your post about your rain and your flowers, so pretty. You have such a nice patio and yard. You made me feel like I was right there. When we lived in KY I loved to sit on our front porch to watch the rain and the crazy drivers zooming down the highway we lived on. I could sit out there for hours. I sure miss that big front porch. Happy Days

    ReplyDelete
  11. We haven't had much rain this week but temps have barely reached the low 60's. not flower growing weather.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We are so thankful for every shower of rain we get..as always am loving your pictures Liz.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great post! I love the pics through the raindrops on the window-gives a different perspective! We've been getting a lot of rain, too, but now I'll have to find a way to 'twinkle' and 'bloom' in spite of it! :)
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's rainy and grey Down Under today so thanks for reminding me to appreciate the good can come out of the dreary. I might stop moaning about the rain now!

    Best wishes,
    Natasha in Oz

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well it might have been wet and dreary but you managed to take some neat pictures! We've had a bit of rain here too. I use those days to stay inside and get something done.

    ReplyDelete
  16. fantastic! I would love to have you link up to Fishtail Cottage's garden party later this evening???? ~tracie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by. I hope you'll say hello and let me know your thoughts. I'd love to hear from you! Unfortunately spammers have been at an all time high, so I will no longer be able to accept anonymous comments.